Proteinuria

Related Terms: Kidney Disorders, Urine Analysis, Chronic Kidney Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Albuminuria, Azathioprine

What is the prognosis of CKD?
Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend is 35 years old. She is obese, exercises regularly and tries to watch her diet. In spite of these, she is prediabetic. Her fasting blood glucose is typically around 105 mg/dL. Her A1C is normally in the range of 5.7% to 6%. She takes Metformin to manage the prediabetes. Her...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Considering her prediabetes a cause of her proteinuria, yes, she would be categorized in stage 1 CKD (chronic kidney disease). However, that is very unlikely that such a prediabetes at this age is going to cause proteinuria. Yes, this is not...  Read Full »

Do birth control pills cause nephrotic syndrome?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been taking birth control pills for five months, since she gave birth. About two months ago, she started having some swelling in her feet and legs. She waited to see if it would go away, but it did not. Her doctor did some tests and found protein in the urine, so she sent ...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your physician said, birth control pills do not cause nephrotic syndrome or protein in urine. Nephrotic syndrome is the combination of nephrotic range proteinuria (more than 3 g of protein in urine) with a low serum albumin level and edema. The etiology or cause of ...  Read Full »

My premature nephew had body swelling when he was a week old. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is a premature baby. On the third day, his blood glucose level was decreased to 34. Later, he was admitted and kept under surveillance. His blood test revealed elevated bilirubin level. Four days later, his blood values become normal. On the same day, suddenly there was swellin...  Read Full »
Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby probably has a problem with his kidneys. A urine spot protein to creatinine ratio of more than two usually suggests that your baby is losing a lot of protein through his kidneys called nephrotic range proteinuria. So, the swelling of the body migh...  Read Full »

Does foamy urine mean any kidney issue?
Query: Hi doctor, My father has suffered from a stroke 12 years back (left hemisensory infarct) and four years back has undergone CABG. He is also a diabetic for the past 27 years. Three days back he developed high fever 103.5 with stomach ache and chills. 650 or Meftal forte SOS for high fever. He is bet...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, an acute infection is known to cause protein in the urine that can cause frothy urine. Moreover, urinary tract infection can also cause this. I would recommend you to get his urine test repeated after two weeks. A strict blood sugar and blood pressure control would...  Read Full »

Why am I not gaining weight?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 60 year old male. My height is 5'9" and my weight 150 lbs. Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago at 140 lbs weight. I went on with Metformin 2 x 1000 mg per day. It worked well for a while, but not good enough. Then I opted Insulin and gained some weight of about 4 lbs, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important point to remember is that diabetes is a well known cause of weight loss. I would also suggest to obtain age appropriate cancer screening, which would be a prostate exam plus PSA (prostate specific antigen) and colonoscopy in your case. I want to high...  Read Full »

Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking. Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy. Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium). Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. The increase in weight may be due to difference in clothing or other things, but if it is true increase then water is accumulating in her body. Does she have swelling of feet? Under such a condition, salt intake is restricted. Her...  Read Full »

How do I improve my low sex drive?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57-year-old white male. My only medication is Metformin for a pre-diabetes watch. My blood sugar when I wake up is 100 to 121. I take it daily. I do not take metformin daily. My sex drive has dropped off to zero nine months ago. When I have sex, the quantity of semen is very le...  Read Full »
Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know a few more details. Was the decline in your sex drive slowly progressive or sudden? And how is your erection? Are you married? Or have a steady partner? Along with reduced stream, is there any straining to void, difficulty in initiat...  Read Full »

I have headaches, dizziness, and swollen feet and ankles. What should I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Firstly, let me summarize your complaints and investigations. You have symptoms of ill health which include headaches, giddiness, and swelling of feet and ankles. Positive findings on investigations are your high leukocyte count of more than...  Read Full »

My uric acid levels and albumin levels are high. Are my kidneys damaged?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old male with a BMI of 26. During a recent health checkup of blood and urine, the following readings were observed. I have mentioned only the ones who have the higher readings. Protein 1+ detected in dipstick, serum uric acid at 9.2 mg/dL, MPV at 12.5 fL, FBS at 112 mg/...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The main problem is with the serum lipid profile which is HDL (high-density lipoprotein), LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), cholesterol, serum uric acid, urine albumin-creatinine ratio which ...  Read Full »

What does borderline positive c-ANCA levels indicate?
Query: Hello doctor, My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: C-ANCA (Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) positivity indicates Wegener's Granulomatosis. In this condition, there is involvement of upper and lower respiratory tract and kidneys. Most common diagnosis, while kidneys a...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Proteinuria? We have medical experts to help you right away.