Quitting Smoking

Related Terms: Cigarette Smoking, Smoking Cessation, Quit Alcohol, Reduce Weight, High Blood Pressure, Hypertension, Acid Reflux

How will nicotex help in quitting smoking?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a regular smoker, and I would like to quit smoking. My question is what is the role of Nicotex here? Will it be useful to stop smoking? Please answer.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nicotex gum is certainly useful. The 4 mg dose of gum is recommended for smokers if you smoke 25 or more cigarettes per day, whereas 2 mg dose if less. You should chew the gum whenever you have an urge to smoke. You can chew one piece of gum every one to two hours for ...  Read Full »

Will Nicotex chewing gum help me quit smoking?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male and a regular smoker. I do smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day and have been smoking like this for almost 10 years now. When I started, I used different brands, from ultra mild to regular bidis. But now, for almost 3 years I am stuck with regular gold flake.Now, I am ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have been a chronic smoker since last 10 years smoking 10-15 cigarettes per day, the body is presently addicted to nicotine and hence if you intend to leave it for a day, the nicotine withdrawal sets in. This may include: Headache. Nausea. Constipation or...  Read Full »

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity. Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting. Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux dise...  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?
Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, it is normal to have hard stools after quitting smoking for that you have to add a salad, do exercise, and take enough water. It is a temporary phenomenon which usually settles in three months till intestines adapt nicotine free blood. You h...  Read Full »

Do you have any thoughts on promising drugs for dry AMD?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 63 years old. I was diagnosed with dry intermediate AMD about five years back. The VA then was 20/25 and now it is 20/60. I am currently on AREDS. I am a non-smoker. I have an excellent health otherwise. The Amsler is normal. The recent OCT showed no fluid. Do you have any thoug...  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For dry AMD (age-related macular degeneration), the recommendations mostly include AREDS2 (Age-related Eye Disease studies 2) formulation. The other recommendations are quitting smoking (in case of smokers), controlling hypertension, lipid level, diabetes and regular...  Read Full »

How to quit cigarette smoking in three weeks time?
Query: Hi doctor, I want to quit smoking. Is it possible to quit cigarette smoking within three weeks time? What are the side effect after quitting cigarette smoking? Is Nicotex recommended by medical council?  Read Full »
Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can certainly quit cigarettes within three weeks. Because, smoking habit is more about self-control and determination than anything else. Also, medical council does not recommend any one particular brand or medicine. It recognizes that Nicotex (chewing gum wit...  Read Full »

How does Nicotex chewing gum help quit smoking?
Query: Hello doctor, How does Nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking?  Read Full »
Dr. Sandhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nicotex chewing gums are often resorted to, these days, as a means to quit smoking. Nicotex chewing gums too contains a certain amount of nicotine just like cigarettes, but a level slightly less than them. Cigarettes contain around 4000 different chemical components i...  Read Full »

After quitting smoking, will blood viscosity reverse back to normal?
Query: Hello doctor, It has been seven days since I have smoked a cigarette (quit cold turkey). How long will it take after quitting smoking, for the blood to be free from nicotine? Is blood viscosity reversible by simply cutting down nicotine?  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the query, my opinion is as follows: The effect of nicotine is dependent upon the amount and years of cigarettes smoked and can vary from two days to two months. On an average, usually within a month of withdrawal of nicotine, the blood viscosity starts redu...  Read Full »

Can E-cigarette be used to quit smoking and prevent heart attack?
Query: Hello doctor, My father is 58 years old, last week he had a heart attack and turned out he had a blockage of 75 percent in the left anterior descending artery (widowmaker). So, he had a cardiac catheterization and one stent, so we feared that the side effects of quitting smoking might affect his he...  Read Full »
Dr. Carlos L. Alviar Md, Facc
Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your father but I am glad he survived and was appropriately treated. If he wants to increase his survival and decrease the possibility of dying, having another heart attack or developing heart failure (weak heart), he must stop smoking. There is n...  Read Full »

My fiance has gained 40 kg in less than a year. What could be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about excessive weight gain by my fiance. He is a 29 year old male, whose height is approximately 6 feet, and he weighs 150 kg. Over the last two years, my fiance had lost around 40 kg using the Banting diet, common in our country. It is based on the principles of no ca...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your description, it is advisable to perform the following tests to rule out any pathological cause of the weight gain.  Thyroid function tests. Liver function test. Kidney function tests. Random and basal cortisol levels to check for an evidence of Cushings'...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Quitting Smoking? We have medical experts to help you right away.