Rabies

Related Terms: Rabies Vaccine, Breast Feeding, Anti-rabies Vaccine, Baby Care, Breast Milk, Rabies Contact Category, Rabies Immunoglobulin

Rabies - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Article Overview: Here is an attempt to cover a never ending loop of doubts, which patients present regarding a recent encounter with an animal. The encounter ranges from being playful with the pet to a tiger attack.  Read Article »
Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Rabies: The incubation period of rabies is four days to four years. It is sad that our media, movies, and storybooks have depicted a fearsome image of this disease. Rabid animals are hydrophobic, and their brain cells are damaged by the virus. It loses its fear of humans. A rabid dog goes out i ...  Read Article »

Will rabies vaccination cause future health issues for my 9 year old son?
Query: Hi doctor,My 9 year old son was licked by a stray dog. I was not sure what happened, but I took him to the doctor and got him injected. Would the injection cause him some future health issues?  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, the injection will not cause any issues in the future. Rabies Vaccination Injection is given at the 0, 3, 7, 14, and 21 days of the bite, but consult your nearest doctor and get the vaccine from that doctor. This vaccine should be taken if there is a dog bite or ...  Read Full »

... ... …

Read Full »

Can rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?
Query: Hello doctor, Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, UV rays of the sun are known to kill the virus. So usually they do not survive outside the body when exposed to the sunlight.  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?
Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »

Can rabies spread by sharing a drink?
Query: Hello doctor,My roommate was scratched very lightly by a stray cat the other day. Then a couple of days later, I shared a drink with her. Could I get rabies?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies does not get transmitted by drinking. It is transmitted by a direct bite or scratch from an infected animal. Rest assured that eating or drinking does not transmit rabies. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread through food licked by a cat?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having some doubts about rabies. Will rabies spread through food, which is licked by a cat? Will rabies virus die on heating?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am giving you my opinion regarding your doubts. Rabies can spread through the saliva of an infected animal, especially dog. But from saliva, the virus can spread if the skin is not intact or it can spread through mucosa contact. So, direct saliva contact to mucosa ha...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get rabies years after dog bite?
Query: Hello doctor, A dog had bit me in my finger eight years back. At that time I did not take any vaccine or treatment. Is it possible that I can get affected with rabies in the future? What is the diagnosis system of rabies? If I get diagnosed with rabies then what I have to do?  Read Full »
Dr. Ambadi Kumar
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No need to get panicky over the dog bite. You are fine. Rabies testing on humans is performed on samples of saliva, serum. Saliva can be tested by virus isolation or reverse transcription followed by polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Serum and spinal fluid are test...  Read Full »

Can rat spread rabies?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I went to a party and slept at an unhygienic place. There were a few rats around and now I am scared if any of them had bitten me. I am worried that I may get rabies. I cannot see any bite marks, though but I cannot shake the feeling off. Should I get rabies vacci...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your first question there is no documented case of rabies caused by a rat or mice. So, I will not suggest you take shots and moreover, you are not sure whether you are bitten or not. Regarding your second question the rabies vaccine will be effective even after...  Read Full »

Will I get rabies infection through mild scratch?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. While I was walking in road in possession, two dogs were behind me. When one dog tried to cross me and its front left leg touched my right foot toe. I saw nothing in my foot initially and it happened around 9 AM. At 10 AM, I washed it with soap and I saw a line ...  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have written, I feel that you have a grade one scratch. Since no bleeding was there, you need not worry. Usually claws do not contain any virus, but cannot always be sure. I suggest you to get a prophylactic vaccination done for rabies. Usually, dose of...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Rabies? We have medical experts to help you right away.