Rabies Contact Category

Related Terms: Rabies, Rabies Vaccine, Animal Bite, Dog Bite, Rabies Incubation Period, Anti-rabies Serum, Cat Bite

Do cats transmit rabies infection to humans?
Query: Hi doctor, Can rabies transmission occur from cats to humans? If the suspected cat is alive for more than 10 days, is there any chance of infection?  Read Full »
Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, rabies could be transmitted from cats to humans. The maximum incubation period for this infection is 10 days. So, till that the animal should be observed. If you can describe your wound and its depth, the treatment can be decided. For further queries consult a g...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread by sharing a drink?
Query: Hello doctor,My roommate was scratched very lightly by a stray cat the other day. Then a couple of days later, I shared a drink with her. Could I get rabies?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies does not get transmitted by drinking. It is transmitted by a direct bite or scratch from an infected animal. Rest assured that eating or drinking does not transmit rabies. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq...  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?
Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule. Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not requ...  Read Full »

A healthy dog scratched my leg. Do I have to worry about rabies?
Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday, my dog who is around two months accidentally scratched my leg. The scratch is negligible but I lost half a drop of blood. The dog looks healthy and has not been bitten by other dogs. He has not been given antirabies injection because my vet told us he is too young to get one....  Read Full »
Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If a dog scratches or bites you, you need to have a vaccine. As you have a history of exposure (bites or scratches), then it is better to get the vaccine for post-exposure treatment. Post-exposure treatment consists of five injections by intramuscular route on Day 0,...  Read Full »

Can I get rabies from patting a stray cat?
Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible to get rabies from patting a stray cat and then eating without washing hands? The cat's fur was not moist or wet nor was the cat being aggressive. Please advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No. Rabies does not spread that way. There is absolutely no chance to get rabies that way. Generally, it is the bite from a rabid dog or a cat that causes rabies since rabies virus is present in saliva. For more information consult an internal medicine physician on...  Read Full »

Accidentally, dog's teeth touched me while playing. Should I get vaccine?
Query: Hi doctor,I used to put biscuits for a stray dog in my office. Today, when I saw it, it came to me and started playing with me. Accidentally, one of the teeth touched my finger, but there was no injury or bleeding. Kindly advice if I should take a vaccine. Also, two months before I had Rabipur inje...  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have already taken the full course of the vaccine, then no need to take a dose now. Since there is no injury or blood, thorough cleaning might be enough. For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-onlin...  Read Full »

A vaccinated dog scratched me. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?  Read Full »
Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, give attention to the following points: Is the dog drooling constantly? Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals? Were the injections given within seven years fro...  Read Full »

Rabies - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Article Overview: Here is an attempt to cover a never ending loop of doubts, which patients present regarding a recent encounter with an animal. The encounter ranges from being playful with the pet to a tiger attack.  Read Article »
Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Rabies: The incubation period of rabies is four days to four years. It is sad that our media, movies, and storybooks have depicted a fearsome image of this disease. Rabid animals are hydrophobic, and their brain cells are damaged by the virus. It loses its fear of humans. A rabid dog goes out i ...  Read Article »

How to know if I am affected by rabies?
Query: Hi doctor, I was injured by a bone of a dead dog. The injury is on my right knee. I cleaned the wound with soap water and this happened a month ago. I am facing some problems like flu, body pain and headache for the last four days. How to know if I am affected by rabies? What are the tests needed t...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The indication for post-exposure vaccination with or without rabies immunoglobulin depends on the type of contact with the rabid animal. Types of contact are of three categories: Category I – Touching or feeding the animals and licks on the skin. Category II - Nibbling ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Rabies Contact Category? We have medical experts to help you right away.