Rabies Immunoglobulin

Related Terms: Rabies Vaccine, Rabies, Anti-rabies Vaccine, Dog Bite, Tetanus Injection, Post-exposure Prophylaxis, Rabies Contact Category

How to know if I am affected by rabies?
Query: Hi doctor, I was injured by a bone of a dead dog. The injury is on my right knee. I cleaned the wound with soap water and this happened a month ago. I am facing some problems like flu, body pain and headache for the last four days. How to know if I am affected by rabies? What are the tests needed t...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The indication for post-exposure vaccination with or without rabies immunoglobulin depends on the type of contact with the rabid animal. Types of contact are of three categories: Category I – Touching or feeding the animals and licks on the skin. Category II - Nibbling ...  Read Full »

Is it a must to report to hospital immediately after a dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, A dog bit me hard in my leg. I had a lot of blood flowing from my wound. I cleaned the wound with disinfectant for 20 minutes. Now the blood flow has stopped. I have done preexposure prophylaxis before three months for safety. Do I have to go to the hospital immediately?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should go to the hospital soon and begin post-exposure prophylaxis as early as possible. It is better to have rabies immunoglobulin injection soon. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get a dressing from the doctor with a Betadine solution (Povidone-Iodi...  Read Full »

Can you verify if my child is receiving the correct treatment for monkey bite?
Query: Hello doctor, A child, 2 years and six months old, was given the first two doses of Rabipur (anti-rabies vaccine) on the scheduled date, that is the zero and third day of the monkey bite. However, due to lack of knowledge, both the times, it was given in the gluteal region. The third dose was given...  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello doctor, I went through your post. Your child had an animal bite, for which he is receiving post-exposure prophylaxis for rabies. The rabies prophylaxis consists of two steps: Human rabies immunoglobulin is given (20 mcg/kg) around the injury site.  Anti-rabies vaccine (ARV) is given on day z...  Read Full »

I was bitten by a chameleon. I did take Vaxirab. Now I am feeling pain in my arm and my back. Give me your advice.
Query: Dear Doctor, I was bitten by a chameleon. I did take Vaxirab yesterday. Now I am feeling pain in my arm and a very little pain in my back. I fear if am infected by rabies? What should I do. Give me your advice.  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies will not affect too early. What you are having now, could be the side effects of Vaxirab. But if the rabies status of the chameleon is not known or if you cannot observe whether that chameleon lives for another 10 days, then you may also require Rabies Immunoglobul...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for dog bite injury?
Query: Hi doctor, My problem is dog bite with some pain. I am currently on antirabies medication. I am a 15 year old male. My weight is 38 kg and height is 5 feet.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get the dressing done from a local doctor with Betadine solution followed by application of Mupirocin ointment. The dressing should be changed daily till healing. You should have antirabies vaccination on day 0, 3, 7, 14...  Read Full »

Can rat spread rabies?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I went to a party and slept at an unhygienic place. There were a few rats around and now I am scared if any of them had bitten me. I am worried that I may get rabies. I cannot see any bite marks, though but I cannot shake the feeling off. Should I get rabies vacci...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your first question there is no documented case of rabies caused by a rat or mice. So, I will not suggest you take shots and moreover, you are not sure whether you are bitten or not. Regarding your second question the rabies vaccine will be effective even after...  Read Full »

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?
Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full »

Can rabies spread through food licked by a cat?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having some doubts about rabies. Will rabies spread through food, which is licked by a cat? Will rabies virus die on heating?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am giving you my opinion regarding your doubts. Rabies can spread through the saliva of an infected animal, especially dog. But from saliva, the virus can spread if the skin is not intact or it can spread through mucosa contact. So, direct saliva contact to mucosa ha...  Read Full »

Kindly explain me about antirabies vaccine.
Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 10 days ago and got my first antirabies vaccine the next day. Also I got the second and third dose with a gap of three days, respectively. The wound was quite deep and the dog was unknown and untraceable. Everyone guiding me to take complete course of antirabies v...  Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the dog bite. But, I am glad that you have taken the correct schedule of vaccines till now. Basically there are two types of antirabies vaccines. Neural tissue vaccine. Tissue culture vaccine. Of these neural tissue vaccines is given in the anterior abdom...  Read Full »

Will I get rabies infection through mild scratch?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. While I was walking in road in possession, two dogs were behind me. When one dog tried to cross me and its front left leg touched my right foot toe. I saw nothing in my foot initially and it happened around 9 AM. At 10 AM, I washed it with soap and I saw a line ...  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have written, I feel that you have a grade one scratch. Since no bleeding was there, you need not worry. Usually claws do not contain any virus, but cannot always be sure. I suggest you to get a prophylactic vaccination done for rabies. Usually, dose of...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Rabies Immunoglobulin? We have medical experts to help you right away.