Radiation Hazards

What are the chances of getting cancer from having two CT scans in a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I am worried after reading about the effects of radiation from a CT scan. I had two separate scans within a month. Both the scans were for the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. The doctors were looking for a potential lymphoma, but nothing conclusive was found. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This kind of exposure to CT scan is not harmful, though you must avoid as much as possible. A continuous, long-term exposure daily may cause harmful radiation hazards and ill health. So, do not worry about the exposure. This very minimal exposure does not pose any fu...  Read Full »

Does radiation exposure during x-ray cause cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I am obese with weight more than 130 kg. I got plenty of tests done in a single year. Last year, I got my CT scan of full abdomen followed by five chest x-rays. One CT scan of the brain plain and bone densitometry (DEXA) scan in June and a CT PNS yesterday. Now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar

Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. X-ray and CT scan uses ionizing radiation. Though these are harmful rays, in diagnostic radiology it is generally safe for the patients. Though you have undergone many investigations it is well below the maximum allowable safe dose for the patient. Amount of radiation...  Read Full »

Even after 4 years of hernia surgery I have trouble near groin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a right inguinal hernia laparoscopic surgery four years back. After about 10 days of surgery, I started walking for about 4 to 5 km. The first two days, I did not feel any trouble. But, on the third day of my walk, I begun to feel trouble in the area of the groin and felt weak to...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hernia surgery involves placement of a prolene mesh in the area of weakness, which promotes vigorous fibrosis. So, it is only normal to experience mild discomfort on the side of surgery. If it is not troubling you too much, then it is better to leave it alone, because any...  Read Full »

According to NCRP guidelines, why is maximum radiation exposure high for hospital workers?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do the NCRP guidelines have the maximum exposure to x-rays radiation for hospital workers higher than the normal public? What does the hospital workers have, that makes them fine to get exposed to more radiations than the public?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hospital workers are exposed to small doses of likely leaked radiation. The maximum exposure is based on a cumulative radiation dose limit for hospital workers, and this is a part of professional hazard during work. However, continuous improvement in radiation usage is he...  Read Full »

What is the safety limit for CT scans?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. I would like to know how many CTscans - abdomen and pelvis are safe in a 2 months time. I have had CT scan abdomen and pelvis 2 months back in another city, but now a doctor here wants it done again as I do not have the reports. Is it safe? What is the safety limit for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Every CT scan abdomen and pelvis will give you a radiation exposure of approximately 14 mSv which means it gives a risk of 0.16 percent to develop cancer. This means 99.86 percent chance that it will not cause cancer. If you get another CT scan abdomen and pelvis done now...  Read Full »

Can a CT scan of the pelvis affect my eggs?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. The contrast CT scan pelvis has exposed you to radiation of 8 mSv as recorded on the machine. For a 36 year old female patient, this means you are exposed to an additional cancer risk of 0.09 ...  Read Full »

How to calculate the radiation dose from three scout scans?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a CT scan of the chest and abdomen. What is odd about this scan is that the technician did three scout scans before the final helical scan, which made me uncomfortable because I do not know how much radiation I received in those scans. When I got the CD, I looked at the dose repo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From calculations, the total radiation dose received by you during the CT scan is likely 10 mSv. Please note that scout images give low dose and three scout images will not significantly increas...  Read Full »

My son slept near my mobile overnight. Would this cause any harm to him?

Query: Hi doctor,My 3 year old sleeps beside me all the time. I was using my phone while in bed last night. I accidently fell asleep and left the phone down. I normally leave the phone on my bedside locker. I woke this morning, and my son was lying right beside my phone. His head was on top of it. Would th...  Read Full »

Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to inform you that there is little to worry. Fortunately, the standard mobile brands follow stringent radiation control measures, and the radiation emission from the standard phone is well within safe li...  Read Full »

My eldest son had PET and CT scans. Will the radiation affect my other son?

Query: Hello doctor, Over two years ago my eldest son was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had PET scans and CT scans. These started at the end of my last pregnancy and went on while my son was a newborn and infant. I do not remember him holding the baby, but he came home from scans and was around him. They...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Your baby is totally safe. There is radiation risk only when doing PET and CT scans. The risk is only to the patient, which means your eldest son in your case. Your newborn was never exposed to ...  Read Full »

Will I get cancer as a result of CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old male. My height is 5'11" and weight is 170 lbs. I do not have any major health issue, but my brother and mother had recently come down with leukemia. Recently had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis repeated with and without contrast material. Before four years, I also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recent computed tomography (CT) scan of abdomen and pelvis has a radiation dose of 12.366 mSv which means it is causing an additional cancer risk of 0.06 percent. This is quite low and not a reason to get worried. The radiation dose from the three CT scans for kidney ...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.