Ruptured Eardrum

Related Terms: Ear Perforation, Ear Diseases, Hearing Loss, Ear Drops, Ear Infection, Ear Pain, Tinnitus

Can ruptured eardrum cause jaw pain and numbness?
Query: Hello doctor, I am currently trying to get over my seasonal sinus infection. However, after taking a nap a couple of days ago, I lost most hearing in my left ear. I went back to the urgent care and was told I had a ruptured eardrum. I was given drops to put in my ear. However, I cannot help but not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have a ruptured drum, 1. Do not put ear drops. 2. Do not let water enter the ears. 3. Visit an ENT soon. 4. Assess the size of perforation. 5. Ask ENT if it will heal spontaneously. Some perforations are small and heal on their own in healthy individuals, b...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for ruptured eardrum?
Query: Hi doctor, One of my family friend's son was slapped accidently by his friend, and his eardrum was punctured. Some doctors say that it can be healed by medicines and some say that it can be cured by surgery. Kindly advise the real picture as parents are worried a lot.  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Traumatic rupture of the drum usually heals by itself. It takes around three to four weeks for the healing to be visible and around three months for the healing to be complete. But in a few cases where drum does not heal up completely, or there is a residual ear ...  Read Full »

What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?
Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full »

Why is there some discomfort after using Q-tip?
Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »
Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full »

Can being slapped on the face cause ear trouble?
Query: Hello doctor, I was slapped on my face today. It has been three hours now but there has been no dizziness, severe pain or fluid flow. I played soccer on the beach and drove scooter over 10 km in between without any issues. All I feel now is a slight pain in my ear when I put my small finger inside ...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be asymptomatic. Pain while putting finger can be due to mild edema of the external ear canal due to injury. Since you do not have any symptoms suggestive of middle ear involvement, I do not think you will have any problem in the future. But to be on th...  Read Full »

A light green fluid is leaking from my ear. Kindly help.
Query: Hello doctor, I have hearing loss from childhood. I had an infection in both the ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The doct...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have two of these conditions. This is what I can diagnose based on your history that you have given very well. Either chronic ear problem with a perforated eardrum or a fungal infection of the ear canal and drum. Perforation of the drum explains most of your...  Read Full »

What can I do to relieve the ear pain that appeared after I used ear scoop?
Query: Hi doctor,I am 18 years old. Last night I used an ear scoop and scratched the inside of my ear too hard. I saw a little blood. It was a little sore, but now 24 hours later there is an unbearable pain in that ear. I could not sleep. I cannot access to the hospital until late tomorrow. Can I do anyth...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Do not put anything inside the ear including ear drops and water should not go in while bathing.Next, do you have Paracetamol at home? It is otherwise known as Acetaminophen and Tylenol. You may take that according to your weight.Say your weight is 50 kg then you may take a...  Read Full »

Dealing with Foreign Body Inside the Ears
Article Overview: This article throws the spotlight on cases of finding foreign body inside the ear and how to deal with it.  Read Article »
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

You may come across this condition in your life, especially if there are children around. The foreign body inside ears is a widely common theme. Outside bodies are classified as living or nonliving. Nonliving remote bodies are further classified as organic and inorganic. Now, I will discuss each cat ...  Read Article »

I cannot hear after using Q-tip. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I cleaned my ear with a Q-tip and now I cannot hear. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com Most probably in your case the wax would have got pushed further inside due to the Q-tip (earbud). It might be occluding the canal and the ear drum totally, so you cannot hear now. I suggest you to take Dewax or wax-dissolving ear drops, three to four drops daily for th...  Read Full »

Infection in left ear follwed by pain in right ear.
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. Last month, we noticed that she had pain in her right ear and the thing continued for three to four days. On 5th, we noticed lots of wax in her right ear. It seemed to be pus. So, we took her to an ear specialist. After diagnosis, the doctor told us that he...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear infections in children are very common. Children have a straight and wide eustachian tube that helps throat microbes to reach the ear easily and cause infection. So whenever she has a chest infection or throat pain or cold or flu, there are chances that her ears ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Ruptured Eardrum? We have medical experts to help you right away.