Sciatica

Related Terms: Physiotherapy, Back Pain, Pregabalin, Mri Spine, Nerve Compression, Low Back Pain, Pain Killer

Managing Sciatica Pain with Physiotherapy
Article Overview: Sciatica is a set of symptoms caused by the compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve, described as a shooting pain starting from the lower back and extending down the back of each leg. Various different conditions can cause this pain. The pain of sciatica is very distressing, often making it difficult to sit, stand, or walk. This article talks about the various causes of pain in the area and how they can be managed.  Read Article »
Dr. Omprakash Rohidas Naikwade
Physiotherapist

Sciatica pain is described as pain in the area of distribution of the sciatic nerve (that is, around the buttocks, the posterior thigh, the posterior lower-leg and also the feet) as a result of continuous irritation of the nerve. It is not a specific condition. The pain around the region of the nerv ...  Read Article »

Will surgery help my sciatica?
Query: Hi doctor, I have left leg sciatica. There is no back pain, but there is a referred pain down to the heel. I have recurring flare ups once in every six to eight months. I am currently taking Advil 3200 mg per day and ice. I feel great once the Advil kicks in. I got a selective nerve block on L5-S1 b...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms. Before we go ahead and discuss the MRI, I would like to know some more clinical details. You said pain in the left leg. I would like to know here that which aspect of your leg is it. Either is it in the inner part or outer part or front or b...  Read Full »

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?
Query: Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain ki...  Read Full »
Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises. I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine. The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and...  Read Full »

Do you recommend surgery for sciatica?
Query: Hi doctor, I am diagnosed with slip disc L4-L5 and my sciatic nerve is pressed. Due to which I am finding difficulty to walk and sit. My left foot is numb. I have a lot of pain and stiffness in my calf and thighs. Please advise.  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms. Clinically, you have sciatica for sure. But, radiologically the compression is not so severe that I have to advise you surgery (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest a conservative trial first, Consult your specialist...  Read Full »

Does my spine MRI point towards sciatica?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old male with height 5'9" and weight 65 kg facing a problem of pain in left leg, weakness, and numbness, tingling in feet and stiffness in thighs along with pain in calf muscles. I am facing a difficulty in walking. I have done an MRI of the spine. Please provide with ap...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned a pain in the left leg along with weakness, tingling, and numbness. First of all, can you tell me the duration of your symptoms? Is there any associated back pain as well? If your leg pain more or your back pain? How much distance can you walk on a...  Read Full »

I have continuous back pain. Is it sciatica?
Query: Hello doctor,I am having back pain. Six months ago I had S1 and L5 fusion. Normally, no surgery or anything. My doctor asked me to take rest. Then two months back I was again having pain in my back and no findings from my X-ray. Then I did an MRI four days back when I was having pain in my legs main...  Read Full »
Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does the pain continue even when you lie down to sleep? Does the pain radiate to the legs? MRI report shows problems with the vertebrae (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But it would be better if you can get a second opinion for the vertebral pathology. ...  Read Full »

Could you tell me the underlying cause for sciatica?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with sciatica. I have some difficulty in walking. I am having Tramadol and Paracetamol for pain relief but they are not helping much. Could you tell me the underlying cause? Will I require a walking aid?  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. As you must be aware by now, sciatica is a term used when a person experiences radiating leg pain due to some pressure on the nerves. Assessment will include intensity of back pain, intensity of leg pain, the distance you walk without any requirement of analgesic and d...  Read Full »

What is causing my leg pain - dropped bladder or sciatica?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a dropped bladder that could be causing a lot of pain in my left leg but then I have sciatica as well. The lower parts of my legs have a stinging and pain feeling quite often. I have been to the gynecologist and was told that there is no connection to the two according to them. W...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. I agree with your physician that your bladder issue has no relation to your pain in legs. Most likely it is due to sciatica. Management of sciatica includes weight reduction, local painkiller creams, vitamin b12, pregabalin tablets, and ...  Read Full »

Kindly advise ayurvedic medicine to treat ependymoma and sciatica pain.
Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my brother, male, age 39 years, height 5'10", weight 65 kg suffering from spinal cord tumor ependymoma was diagnosed six months back. The problems faced are sciatica pain in the left leg, back of the thigh, lower back, piriformis muscle, ankle pain, tingling, numbness...  Read Full »
Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The report you have attached was taken eight months back (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, now there might be more growth and spread of the tumor. Ideally, surgery and radiotherapy can be preferred. If more pain is there, the oncologist will give mor...  Read Full »

Can mixed martial arts help in managing osteoarthritis and sciatica?
Query: Hello doctor, I currently suffer from osteoarthritis and sciatica in my lower back. I have been told by a personal trainer that taking up mixed martial arts classes would be good for my conditions. Can you confirm whether this is correct?  Read Full »
Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What I feel is mixed martial arts would damage the tissue more for now until we come up to some level of muscle strength. I would advise you to focus on some exercises which are listed below. This exercise should be gradually increased from week to week and continued...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Sciatica? We have medical experts to help you right away.