Serum Ferritin

Related Terms: Iron Defeciency Anemia, Iron Supplement, Low Hemoglobin, Complete Blood Count, Hemochromatosis, Minoxidil, Hair Loss, Iron-rich Foods

How to reduce my serum ferritin level?
Query: Hi doctor, My ferritin level is 1500, and I want to bring it down to 150. How much will one DFO IV session or each Exjade pill reduce the ferritin level on an average? I am a healthy individual, and I do not have HIV, HCC, or any other disease.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum ferritin is high, so the cause should be found out first. It can be hemochromatosis, in which excess iron is stored in the bone marrow. Deferoxamine is used for increased iron storage in thalassemia patient. For high ferritin, phlebotomy is also another mode o...  Read Full »

Will taking Iron supplements make ferritin levels better?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an iron deficiency for three months and have been using Iron supplements. My ferritin is still low though, so I am using Iron supplements still. My question is, my RBC has been increased to 4.52, hemoglobin is also gradually increasing to its normal levels (11.2). Now it is on ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Serum ferritin reflects the iron store. Whenever an Iron supplement is started, the iron store is replenished in last. So gradually your ferritin and iron level will come back to normal. Your RBC and PCV (packed cell volume) are not much altered. So do not worry abou...  Read Full »

What is the maximum iron intake for a man?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100...  Read Full »
Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To know about iron overload, get serum ferritin and iron levels checked. In iron-deficiency, an elementary iron of 100 to 200 mg per day is advised. In a normal person, daily allowance is hardly 25 mg per day. You just stop your iron supplements and have these tests...  Read Full »

What can be done for low RBC count in anemic?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother is suffering from anemia. She was hospitalized with hemoglobin 4.6. After two units of blood transfusion, it came up to 6.8 and gone back to 6.3 after 10 days, then another unit was transfused. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT-scan have been done but no concrete reason was found. T...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her RBC count is very low with low serum ferritin and high serum iron (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, her anemia is normocytic normochromic which is generally seen in bleeding due to chronic blood loss or in chronic disease. Other causes can b...  Read Full »

Should anything be done to pull out the excess iron level in blood?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old male. For many years, I was treated for hemochromatosis. Then, about 12 years ago, I had a genetic test. The results prompted the hematologist to abruptly stop the recurring phlebotomies. I do not recall the test result and apparently, it cannot be located. But, I r...  Read Full »
Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your iron saturation and serum ferritin is high and these are suggestive of iron overload or hereditary hemochromatosis (HH). You talked about a test that was done and then the hematologist stopped the phlebotomy. I think, probably he must have ...  Read Full »

Is there any association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis?
Query: Hello doctor, Is there an association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis? I have a high Hb of 18 and hematocrit of 51 %. I am a student and found to have incidental polycythemia. I tested for all myeloproliferative neoplasm and bone marrow biopsy is negative for MPN. However, I was tested to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in hemochromatosis, storage iron is increased, that is serum ferritin. So you can investigate with serum ferritin as well. If you have myeloproliferative neoplasm like polycythemia, then usually it can be clear from bone marrow study and JAK2 mutation. It co...  Read Full »

Thalassemia major with factor 13 deficiency and high ferritin levels. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I am thalassemia major with factor XIII decficiency, HCV+. I transfuse platelet or FFp daily and RCC weekly. All these things are reacting in my body. My ferritin level is 15000 after chelation therapy. This also reacts badly every time. I am 28 years old. How much time do I have to l...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The serum ferritin level of 15000 is definitely too high. Along with HCV, the prognosis is somewhat poor. However, without knowing the amount of iron deposition in tissues like the liver, heart, etc, and also the amount o...  Read Full »

What is the reason for nausea and loss of appetite?
Query: Hi doctor, My husband has been feeling very unwell. He is having nausea and dry retching in the morning, loss of appetite, weight loss and muscle loss. His blood work shows elevated ferritin of 537 and low sodium of 132. He has had a normal colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound and CT scan....  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Increased serum ferritin (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is usually a sign of chronic inflammation. Here the symptoms of nausea, loss of appetite and morning symptoms indicate possible gastric cause. ...  Read Full »

Can being on your menstrual period raise the platelet count?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old. I recently had a full panel of labs done and my platelet count was elevated as was my hs-CRP. All other labs were in optimal or normal range. My ferritin was on the lower end and my HbA1c was on the higher end of normal. I am currently being treated with low doses o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the provided report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the serum ferritin and hemoglobin are within the limit. A slightly elevated platelet and high CRP (C-reactive protein) can be from a temporary inflammation, in which the platelet is raised because...  Read Full »

My blood report shows ESR count 34 and Hb 10.9. Is there any problem?
Query: Hi doctor,Two months back blood report shows ESR count is 34. And Hb 10.9. I also have fever fluctuating and have lost weight drastically around 4 kg in a few months. Can you please help and tell me what is the problem?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For low hemoglobin further workup needed in form of peripheral smear examination, serum ferritin estimation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) estimation to classify your anemia. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high because of any non-specific ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Serum Ferritin? We have medical experts to help you right away.