Skin Cancer

Related Terms: Melanoma, Cancer, Breast Cancer, Sunscreen, Basal Cell Carcinoma, Eczema, Pigmentation

Skin Cancer Facts: What You Need to Know
Article Overview: The skin is an organ which protects the body against the harmful effects of sunlight, infection, injury, and helps regulate body temperature and moisture. This article talks about the most common type of cancer, namely, skin cancer which usually occurs in areas exposed to sunlight.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Skin cancer is the uncontrolled growth of skin cells, forming a tumorous mass. It can be either benign (where the tumor can grow but not spread to other organs) or malignant (can spread to other organs). If it is detected early, it can be treated quickly with less scarring. Types of Skin Cancer Th ...  Read Article »

I have a mole that is itchy and has bled. Is it skin cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I am hoping you can advise me. I have a mole on my chest that has been changing for about a month now. It is itchy at times and it has bled (small spots) as I am sure from the itching. I am worried it is skin cancer. Can you help?  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description and given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you are having a mole or melanocytic nevus. They are considered benign melanomas and nothing actively needs to be done for them. If the mole shows a sudden increase in...  Read Full »

There is a thin black line on my finger nail. Is it skin cancer or melanoma?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. Two years back I had noticed a very thin black straight line on my nail in the right hand finger. This line is growing along as my nail grows. Though the line was thin initially, now it has increased in its width and thickness. When I searched in the net abo...  Read Full »
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Presence of linear pigmented lines on the nails can be due to multiple causes. In white people they are considered abnormal and require thorou...  Read Full »

I read that self-tanning creams can cause cancer. Is it true?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years old. I was using self-tanning creams around seven years all year long. I have stopped for the last two years. I am worried because I have read that self-tanning creams are causing cancer and tumors. Is it true? Are they out of my system or will it take years to appear if t...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, self-tanning lotions are known to cause skin cancer. Please stop using it and avoid exposure to sunlight without a sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with SPF 50 or more, apply every fourth hourly. Look for any changes in the skin, any bumps that look different, any c...  Read Full »

Is it true that moles in soles of feet are cancerous ones?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a small freckle about 3-4 mm on the side of my foot. It is not different from my skin in appearance. It just seems to be a brown blemish. I think, I have it for a number of years and now I am a bit anxious about what it could be. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Chaitra Prakash
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The brown spot on your foot could be a mole or lentigine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as it has been there for long. They are just harmless. You need not worry unless you have a change in its size and color or a family history of skin cancer. You m...  Read Full »

How to confirm melanoma?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a mole on the right side of my face. It is uneven, weirdly colored, has no clear lines and bleed easily if scratched. I have a lot of moles in my scalp but none like this. Could it be melanoma? If it is not then can I just scratch it off? I wish to know your opinion.  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per experience only two skin diseases looks like this. The first one is of course melanoma and the second is seborrheic keratosis. The main signs and symptoms of melanoma are as follo...  Read Full »

What treatment can be done for acne and pores on cheeks?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been using Isopropyl alcohol as a face wash (diluted with water) for the last eight years, and am exploring more healthier and effective skincare routines. I have a mild acne and huge pores on my cheeks. Currently, I have purchased a variety of products and would like to receiv...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your skin routine is good, you can go on with it. Please choose a moisturizer that is not clogging, and is non-comedogenic, lotion form is better than cream since you have mild acne. Niacinamide and Azelaic acid are helpful for acne, they are mild, but a higher concentr...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion for my skin pigmentation.
Query: Hi doctor,I am seeking a second opinion on an issue. Recently, a doctor at a skin cancer clinic observed my hands and arms and noticed sunspots on my hands. I have something similar on my right inner forearm. In the past, I have noticed a spot growing adjacent to this. Another, dermatologist felt th...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blotchy pigmentation is a common problem noticed in patients above 50 years of age. A sensitive skin predisposes more to such pigmentary changes. Your clinical images are suggestive of macular seborrheic keratosis or solar lentigo, both of which are benign. Although, comm...  Read Full »

How to Select a Sunscreen?
Article Overview: The most common questions in dermatological practice are which sunscreen to use and while going out in the sun what are the sun protection measures. The answers are here in this article.  Read Article »

Ultraviolet radiation like UVA and UVB has been well documented to have multiple effects on human skin. It not only causes skin cancer, but also cutaneous aging like seborrheic keratosis, photomelanosis (pigmentation on sun exposed parts), wrinkles, polymorphous light eruption, melasma, freckles, le ...  Read Article »

I have light colored vertical lines in my finger nails. Can you help me out?
Query: Hi doctor, I have recently noticed some light colored vertical lines in my thumb and index finger nails. I have attached the photos for your reference. When I searched on the internet, I found very disturbing things including skin cancer. I have hypothyroidism and chronic depression. I am on Bupron ...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having longitudinal melanonychia. It is also one of the signs of hypothyroidism. You might be concerned about melanoma, but melanoma does not present like this. For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-onli...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Skin Cancer? We have medical experts to help you right away.