Sore Throat

Related Terms: Acid Reflux, Steam Inhalation, Throat Infection, Amoxicillin, Pantoprazole, Hiv Testing, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Sore throat did not go away with several antibiotics. How can I get well again?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old lady. I started having a sore throat two months back. I just thought it was a flu coming. But then, when I noticed that it had been on for two weeks, I decided to take Amoxicillin. I took it but did not finish the course on the last day. I had traveled and forgotten...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your complaints. Repeated attacks of a low-grade sore throat suggest that it could be chronic pharyngitis. The other common causes of chronic sore throat are due to acidity and gastroesophageal reflux. That means stomach acids pop into esophagus ...  Read Full »

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had protected intercourse and so the chance of HIV is less. The mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. But still, for peace of the mind, it is advisable to investigate with CMIA combo ELISA test for HIV after six weeks of exposure. Your rashes seem to be a...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a chronic patient of pharyngeal infection, we have to rule out all possible causes one by one with a thorough examination and necessary investigations. You should go for the following investigations. CT paranasal sinuses. Culture and sensitivity of throa...  Read Full »

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?
Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full »

I am having sore throat with post nasal drip and lymph node enlargement. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old and from the last two years, my sore throat is not going away. I am having a lot of post nasal drip. I tried taking OTC anti-histamines, nothing helped. Today I noticed a hard lump under the chin at right side right at the point where throat begins. What is causing it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms listed by you point to chronic tonsillopharyngitis mostly secondary to the post nasal drip. Delving into the details, the constant post nasal drip is causing inflammation of the posterior pharyngeal wall and the tonsils in the throat. When these get infe...  Read Full »

Do constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, and swollen neck indicate tonsil cancer?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic tonsillitis is a recurrent infection of the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue present in the throat. They act as drainage points of various structures in the throat. When they get infected, they cause pain, soreness, headache, fever, and malaise. Tonsil...  Read Full »

I have sore throat and lost my voice for about a month. How to get that treated?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. Over four weeks ago, I started getting a sore throat and lost my voice for about a month now. I have a sore neck like something is grabbing it. My voice has been sore if I try and talk. I have mucus coming up, which is white colored with some blood. I am on Penicillin V...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I would suggest you take a swab of the throat mucus and ascertain the organism that is growing and producing the symptoms.The sensitivity pattern will reveal whether the organism is responding to the antibiotic being taken.To help lighten the mucus and remove it, I sugge...  Read Full »

Does my sore throat look like strep?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from sore throat. Three days ago, it initially started with pain and the redness appeared shortly after. I have had strep about three times now. It hurts when I yawn and swallow. I feel a little dry even though I have been gargling with water. I woke up this morning with a ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. With the details you have provided and the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I have come to the conclusion that you are having an acute tonsillopharyngitis. This is the infection of pharynx (upper part of...  Read Full »

Do fever, sore throat and headache after sex indicate HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my office colleague 15 days back and he looks healthy and happy, but within two weeks of that incident, I got cold, fever 99.8 Farenhite, sore throat, toothache, and severe cough like never before. I am very scared. I got my period four days after sex. I am worried abou...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the condom was intact, then there is nothing to worry. Nevertheless, you can go for HIV testing at four weeks.  Read Full »

I have a sore throat and feel a block. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a sore throat but has gone away now. I feel like something is blocking my throat. I look in the mirror and nothing is there. I feel it deep in my throat like it is clear when I breathe with my mouth open but when it is closed, it is blocked.  Read Full »
Dr. Sumaiya Jamil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know if there is actual swelling outside or inside the throat. If not, there could be following reasons for feeling like a blocked throat. This is called globus pharyngeus which is little inflammation of the throat. The medications you have taken during ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Sore Throat? We have medical experts to help you right away.