Spina Bifida

Related Terms: Folic Acid, Hydrocephalus, Meningocele, Neural Tube Defects, Pregnancy, Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome, High Risk Pregnancy

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes and treatment of neural tube defects.  Read Article »
Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

What is Spina Bifida? Spina bifida is a condition resulting from the malformation of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and spine to varying degrees that occurs within the first month after conception (pregnancy).   Causes of Neural Tube Defects: The embryonic tissues which will later specialize ...  Read Article »

How does spina bifida progress?
Query: Hello doctor, I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?  Read Full »
Dr. Chirag Solanki
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling, numbness, and weakness. One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence. Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar sympt...  Read Full »

What fertility problems do people with spina bifida have?
Query: Hello doctor, Do people who have spina bifida and have urinary and bowel incontinence also have fertility issues?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are inquiring about spina bifida causing fertility related problems in humans. The nerve damage in spina bifida that affects urinary and bowel functions may also affect sexual functioning. It has been found that most males and females with spina bi...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in lower back when I lie on a sofa or bed?
Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in the lower back when I lay on a sofa or bed. When I stand, I have the pain in my back. This symptom appears only in the evening. It never happens in the morning or afternoon. I have taken X-ray and analytics. The results are: SV 1 spina bifida. There is a mild tilt of t...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms (local back pain when laying) could be related to the spina bifida. I do not think that there is any bulging disc or nerve compression. Anyway, I would recommend performing a lumbar spine MRI (magnetic reson...  Read Full »

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Truly speaking, MTHFR - methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase mutations are widely spread and all most one half of the population is having or carrying these mutations by different extent. By different extent, I mean to say, various levels of affection or involvement tha...  Read Full »

Is frequent urination after intercourse normal?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old female who has had meningomyelocele (spina bifida) since birth. I suffer from scoliosis of the spine, paralysis of the lower limbs and valgus of the feet. My bladder and bowel control had always been exceptionally good in spite of my condition. Before 12 days, I had se...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please relax and do not worry. I will explain you everything in detail. Meningomyelocele (incomplete spinal canal at birth) is a condition that commonly affects bladder and bowel function. Since you do not have any problem with bladder and bowel function since childhoo...  Read Full »

I have severe and uncomfortable abdominal pain during periods. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I have severe and uncomfortable abdominal pain when I have my monthly period. My menstrual cycle and pain last for 5 to 6 days each month.  Read Full »
Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms. It looks like the regular pain that comes on during the menstrual cycle. So I just want to know if you have any medical conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes or any other general medical conditions if you have had any surgery in the past, i...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth
Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article »
Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna ...  Read Article »

Folic Acid
Article Overview: Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble vitamin B9. It is the crucial ingredient in the synthesis and repair of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) and RNA (Ribonucleic acid). Folate is the naturally available form of vitamin B9, while folic acid is the man-made form.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha
Pharmacologist

Overview of Folic Acid Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble vitamin B9. It is the crucial ingredient in the synthesis and repair of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) and RNA (Ribonucleic acid). Folate is the naturally available form of vitamin B9, while folic acid is the m ...  Read Article »

What could a cleft-like appearance of the thoracic vertebra in a newborn be?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one day old and on an X-ray, it is showing a cleft-like appearance on the T12 vertebra. The hospital is telling us to follow up with an orthopedic. My question is what can this mean now and in the future?  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cleft can be just superficial or deep going up to the spinal cord. If it is superficial then it will not be of a major concern. If its deep then there can be tethering of the spinal cord or bifid cord which can lead to neurological disorders of the lower limbs ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Spina Bifida? We have medical experts to help you right away.