Sputum Microscopy

Related Terms: Afb Culture, Chest X- Ray, Complete Blood Count, Ct Chest, Cough, Asthma, Tuberculosis

Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough since 14 days. I feel something like phlegm but I am not able spit it out. I feel shortness of breath also. Doctor has diagnosed bronchitis but, I want to be sure about it. My doctor told me that there is no need for taking x-ray, do you think the same? He ...  Read Full »
Dr. Aamir Mohd

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, most likely you have bronchitis. But you should do sputum microscopy.  What is your age?  Do you smoke? If yes, how many packs a day and since when? Is the cough more at night and wakes you up from sleep? Any fever or sore throat? What are the names and composit...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy person. I have a cough with white sputum production. I do not have a fever. I have done sputum culture. The result showed a presence of Pseudomonas. Do I need an antibiotic?  Read Full »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is a presence of Pseudomonas, then there can be an infection. Since you have a productive cough, you may need to take antibiotics. Please repeat the sputum culture if possible. Also, get a chest X-ray and full blood count done. It could help you to identify the...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I spit blood early in the morning after waking up. I consulted a dentist and then a chest specialist, who advised bronchoscopy and sputum tests. The reports were normal. But, nobody could find the cause for the blood in spit. It is happening from the past two years. Not regularly, but...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common causes of early morning blood in the sputum are: Chest infection or tuberculosis. Cardiac issues like rheumatic heart disease. Reflux esophagitis. Now, if your chest has been evaluated and a clearance has been given by your doctor, then my recommendatio...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extre...  Read Full »
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci. Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy. Bronchiectasis is due to some ol...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I have a persistent cough with phlegm, chest pain, exhaustion after a short duration and nodules in the right lung. The x-ray revealed that signs of atelectasis are present. After using three different types of medicine and steroid inhaler, the symptoms are still present. The most recent...  Read Full »
Dr. Parth R Goswami R Goswami

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the CT scan report that you had done. The x-rays are showing nodules; hence, it might be pneumonic consolidations that should be considered first rather than directly thinking about malignancy. Sputum cytology and examination study should be done i...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I was coughing up dark yellow mucus with blood streaks. So, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Keflex. After about two days, I broke out a rash from head to toe. So, I went back and she put me on Roxithromycin and three days of Prednisolone. I am on my second day of new antibiotics an...  Read Full »
Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The asthmatic attack might be due to the drug allergy, which you might have had. I suggest you to get a sputum culture to identify which antibiotic suits. Also, I suggest you to take nebulization with Asthalin which will ease the breathing. My suggestion for you to be und...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,Recently my wife survived after having an attack of postpartum cardiomyopathy. She is 26 and her EF was reduced to 20 % when she was admitted. She had an attack of repetitive convulsion and her lungs got filled with gastric juice. Now after remaining hospitalized for more than two weeks...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the diet restrictions, common salt intake should be within one teaspoon daily. Salt intake to be maintained strictly. Avoid strenuous activities. She should be on rest till she improves. It is very good that her EF (ejection fraction) improved to 55 %. That ...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Rathee
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry. Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I am getting on and off cough. I have lost 5 kg in the last two years. My CT shows atypical changes and QuantiFERON TB test shows positive with a reading of 0.38. I am waiting to get my sputum test result. I am currently on Doxycycline 100 mg per day and this i...  Read Full »
Dr. Nageswara Rao
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, pulmonary tuberculosis have to be ruled out. Weight loss of 5 kg in two years is not significant. But, on and off cough with breathlessness is significant. QuantiFERON TB is not a diagnosis of active TB, It shows latent TB. Your CT findings (attachme...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor,I have been sick for over a month. It started with a sore throat, chest tightness and followed by bronchitis. Now I have stuffy nose and fever. I have taken bronchitis medications (Methylprednisolone, Amoxicillin and BREO inhaler). I have used a nebulizer with Albuterol. I am taking vit...  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. You might be having chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with superadded lower respiratory tract infection. In my opinion, you can taper and stop Methylprednisolone as it is a steroid and it further r...  Read Full »

{{item.dr_name}}
{{item.sp}}  

Do you have a question on Sputum Microscopy? We have medical experts to help you right away.