Statin

Related Terms: Atorvastatin, Control Cholesterol Level, Cholesterol, Lifestyle Modification, Lipid Profile, Exercises, Heart Attack

Statins
Article Overview: Statins are a group of drugs used to lower cholesterol by interfering with its production in the liver. Statins are relatively safe but are not recommended for pregnant patients and patients with liver disease.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Statins Statins are a group of drugs used to lower cholesterol by interfering with its production in the liver. Statins are relatively safe but are not recommended for pregnant patients and patients with liver disease. As with all other medicines, there are some side effects from taking statins too ...  Read Article »

Do I need to take medicine for high cholesterol?
Query: Hi doctor, I do not have any health issues. But, my cholesterol level is high at 220. Do I need to take any medicine? Please let me know. I have attached my laboratory reports for your reference.  Read Full »
Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should be started on statins preferably Atorvastatin 10 mg at bedtime and also low fat diet and regular exercise for 30 minutes daily. Are suffering from any other disease than high cholesterol? Are you hypertensive or diabetic? What is your age? Revert back with...  Read Full »

What can be done to maintain lipid levels?
Query: Hello doctor, My father is 77 years old. Just had quad bypass surgery. Too clogged for a stent. Not overweight (ever). Smoked 2 or 3 cheap cigars a day for 15 to 20 years. No regular exercise, but stayed busy in the yard, walked the dogs, etc. Generally ate what he wanted, including both a lot of g...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three things you are asking, statin, diet, exercise, right? 1. Statin: Scientific evidence shows elevated lipid especially LDL is a major risk factor for coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, and stroke. And guidelines tell us that everyone aged ...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for peripheral artery disease (PAD)?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47 year old female, who has had a 90 % blocked carotid artery and subsequent endarterectomy at the age of 42 years. A year later, I had a massive heart attack and 100 % block in my right coronary artery. I was just diagnosed with PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) last week. Additi...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Statins are widely used to treat PAD. Depending on other conditions, antihypertensives and medicines to control blood sugar levels are prescribed to patients with hypertension and diabetes res...  Read Full »

What is your opinion regarding my medication?
Query: Hi doctor,Three years ago, I had a stent in my LAD, which had been 96% occluded. At that time, my cardiologist put me on Plavix for a year and ongoing 81 mg Aspirin therapy. I am also taking 50 mg Atenolol. It was 25 mg until this month and was increased due to palpitations probably stress related. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know that you are in good control of your lipids. First of all, statins must be used when one has had any heart attack or stroke. The dose of statin is set by the level of LDL (low-density lipoprotein). LDL must be lowered to one half. In your case, Crestor (Ro...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the interaction of pomegranate juice with Rosuvastatin.
Query: Hi doctor, I was reading on the internet that one should not take pomegranate juice while on Rosuvastatin. It damages the kidney and muscle loss will occur. Please advice.  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. There is no direct interaction between pomegranate juice and statin so it is not absolutely contraindicated. But, drinking pomegranate juice by people who are taking statin may lead slower metabolism of stain and may increase the...  Read Full »

Why are there calcified plaques in the coronary arteries?
Query: Hello doctor, My father had a stent surgery two months back. After that, he has been feeling a burning sensation and deep coughing. Yesterday at his CT scan, the left anterior descending artery had a calcified plaque with proximal LAD of moderate intensity of more than 70%, and also a densely calci...  Read Full »
Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the patient had a stent surgery then why he is only on aspirin? He should be on dual antiplatelet, high dose statin, ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor and a beta blocker. Please revise the medication chart. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss wi...  Read Full »

Is my back pain due to a heart problem?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 43 year male. I experienced chest congestion in the first week of last month. I have consulted a cardiologist at a hospital. I have undergone TMT, 2D echo, and ECG. The doctor prescribed Modlip ASG 75. I am diabetic for past 12 years with good control (HbA1c is below 6 for past 8...  Read Full »
Dr. Sengottuvelu G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Echo and TMT (Treadmill test) are normal. Your backache is not due to a heart problem. You can stop Aspirin and continue Statin. I suggest doing periodical Echo and treadmill test once a...  Read Full »

My Agatston score is 34. Please suggest what has to be done.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 39 years old male. I weigh 185 pounds, height is 5.7 feet, and BMI 29. Recently my primary care doctor had a calcium score and stress test done on me and the calcium score (Agatston method) came out 34 and he said I am in the 96th percentile. My stress test was normal. He suggest...  Read Full »
Dr. Nishith Chandra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since your stress test is normal, and the calcium score is only 34, one thing is certain that at present there is no significant blockage in your coronary arteries. I was wondering what is the need for a statin, you have not shared your lipid profile report with me. Is ...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is always high. Please suggest a medicine.
Query: Hi doctor,My blood pressure is always high between 170/110 mmHg and 190/115 mmHg. My complete blood count report showed hemoglobin 18, platelet 150, MCH 26 and others normal. Please suggest medicine.  Read Full »
Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You need to do a lipid profile test and an ECG (electrocardiogram). Your blood pressure is too high at 190/115 mmHg. You risk organ damage with this level of blood pressure.I usually prescribe a combination of beta-blockers, diuretics, and statins depending on your lipid...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Statin? We have medical experts to help you right away.