Std

Related Terms: Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Hiv Testing, Hiv, Hiv Risk Factors, Unprotected Sex, Herpes, Hiv Infection

Herpes - a Common STD
Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the clinical presentation and treatment of herpes.  Read Article »

Herpes disease is caused by herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a double stranded DNA virus, infects humans alone and is almost ubiquitous. There are two closely related species of HSV, type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). They cause primary as well as recurrent mucocutaneous infec ...  Read Article »

Will I get STD just by a touch?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a sexual experience with a massage worker. I am not sure exactly, but she seemed to kiss or maybe spit on to the top of my penis during a hand job. Later she rubbed her vagina across my penis. I moved away but it is completely possible that the end of my penis touched her vaginal l...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The exposure you described was practically not sufficient to transmit HIV virus. Even after having a full-blown penovaginal sex with HIV positive women, the chance of acquiring HIV is less than 0.05 percentage and by this you can calculate your risk. Cannot say ...  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?
Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, if you had sex with someone who has never had sex with anyone else before you then you cannot get an STD. STDs are only transmitted from an infected sexual partner. So, if it is the first time sex for someone then obviously that person has never been exposed to S...  Read Full »

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?
Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any...  Read Full »

Can condom slippage increase the risk of STD?
Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex with someone whose status I do not know. I am kind of worried now. I did not ejaculate and the condom slipped half way during the session and pulled that back. Is that a matter of concern? Shall I go for any test?  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Slipping of the condom makes it an unprotected sexual intercourse and there is a small 1 % risk of getting STD although non-ejaculation makes it a lesser risk. You can test after two weeks for syphils and HIV by doing FTA-ABS (fluorescent tr...  Read Full »

What are the chances of STD from my encounter, especially HIV?
Query: Hello doctor,I was recently in a sexual encounter with a sex worker. It was a condom-protected sex. The condom did not slip or break. But, I inserted my finger into the girl's vagina for two minutes. Is there any chance of catching an STD from the whole thing (the intercourse and the insertion of t...  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in both the instances is unlikely. You can easily relax. Although, I advise all my patients who are sexually active to know their baseline HIV status. There is no harm in that. Hope your query is answered,...  Read Full »

How to protect myself from STD?
Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried, healthy male. I have a steady girlfriend with whom I have sex regularly, as well as casual one night stands with other girls. I always practise safe sex, i.e, a) always use a condom b) never have uncovered oral sex (c) never have anal sex (d) always keep ...  Read Full »
Dr. Amit Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate that you are very much conscious and alert while having sex and take all preventive measures. 1. Kissing can spread some diseases only if the other partner is infected .These diseases spread through saliva . There are so many diseases which spread through ...  Read Full »

Can oral sex result in STD?
Query: Hi doctor, Four days ago, I had oral sex with a lady, who I already know. Though no intercourse happened, I am worried about STDs. Please suggest if I have to undergo any test. I am very tensed for this and I want to clear my mind. I do not have any problem except stress. Also, please explain where ...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oral sex does not cause HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) to the recipient. It may cause genital herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis and warts if these infections are present in the partner. Your doctor may advise you to get HSV 1 and 2 (herpes simplex virus) and ...  Read Full »

Will ejaculating on the hands cause STD?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about STD exposure risk. I masturbated another male with my hand, and my palm was moist with lube. I wiped away with a hand towel and precum when it became present. His ejaculate went on the floor, maybe a small amount on my hands. I quickly wiped my hands dry with ...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. With your history, it seems like the risk of getting STD's like herpes, syphilis, chancroid, and the wart is very negligible as you have mentioned that the person had no sores, ulcers, blisters or wart. If the person has latent herpes, then...  Read Full »

What is the risk of getting an STD from a stained bed linen?
Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a pap smear done. The bed on which I lay had a stain, which I am assuming was, from the person before me. The doctor had to put a finger inside my vagina to check my ovaries. So, if she mistakenly touched the stain, before inserting her finger into my vagina, am I at a...  Read Full »
Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not worry. Doctors never touch anything with gloved hands before touching you. And, even if she did touch the stain, it is less likely that you will get an STD (sexually transmitted disease). For more information consult an internal medicine physician online...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Std? We have medical experts to help you right away.