Stool Softener

Related Terms: Constipation, Anal Fissure, Hemorrhoids, High Fibre Diet, Lactulose, Laxative, Sitz Bath

What are some good stool softeners available to avoid constipation?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 41 years old, male having severe constipation. The stool is very hard. Hence difficulty passing it. Please suggest some good stool softener. Tablet form would be preferred. Any other medicine?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For that, you should eat high fiber diet like fruits, apple, banana, oranges, green leafy vegetables like spinach, raw cucumber. Avoid smoking if any, refined food, fatty, and oily food. You should have plenty of fluids and regular exercises. Lifestyle modifications ...  Read Full »

I got internal hemorrhoids and now bleeding on passing stools. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor,I am in a situation that I cannot go to any hospital for the next three weeks. That is why I am seeking help from online. I am a 27 year old female and I got internal hemorrhoids and a small grape-like clump on my bum which I got long, long ago. A month ago I got constipation and this led ...  Read Full »
Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In addition to stool softeners, apply Xylocaine jelly 2 percent in the perianal area two times a day and also before and after passing stools. Take a tubful of lukewarm water and sit in it two times a day. That will help. If it does not help visit a surgeon as soon ...  Read Full »

How to have a complete defecation?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a problem to defecate completely. It takes me more than 20 minutes to defecate completely. I also take more than two minutes to pass urine completely. I am very healthy. I consulted a doctor, and I have done various tests and examinations such as defecogram, balloon expulsion test...  Read Full »
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a complex problem. Exercises like kegel exercise and medication can help. Urinary issues also occur due to constipation and dyssynergia. Use Docusate sodium 200 mg twice daily. It is a good stool softener, and you can use it for a long time.  Read Full »

Hard stools caused damage to my anus. How to heal it?
Query: Hello doctor, I did not feel the urge to pass stool for two days. Yesterday morning (day 3), I had the urge to pass stool, but I was not able to as I guess my stool had become too hard. In a state of panic, instead of taking a stool softener, etc., I pushed way too hard for way too long. As a resul...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is probably not a fissure, but just an erosion. It may lead to fissure if such repeated traumas are occurring. For fast healing, the important thing is that there should not be re-trauma. So, use regular stool softener like Lactulose 15 mL to 30 mL bedtime till wo...  Read Full »

I have applied more Lignocaine gel than advised on my kid. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old son has hard motions. He has just had his circumcision surgery. My friends advised me to apply Lignocaine Hydrochloride gel between his buttocks. By mistake, I applied more. I am very much worried. I hope it is not harmful. Please advice.  Read Full »
Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lignocaine (Lidocaine Topical) gel is a local anesthetic so even if you have applied more there is nothing to worry. If he is having constipation, I suggest you give him syrup Looz (Lactulose) 10 mL twice daily. This is a stool softener and you can give h...  Read Full »

What has to be done to cure pain in anus?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having huge inner pain in stool going place, anus. It happens after every 10 months. Please suggest what has to be done. I am male, 40.  Read Full »
Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Burning while defecation could be due to anal fissure. The anal fissure is a break or a crack in the mucosal lining of the anal canal. You better see a gastroenterologist and get a PR examination and sigmoidoscopy test done. Treatment consists of taking stool softene...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have pain and tightness post hemorrhoidectomy?
Query: Hi doctor, I had hemorrhoidectomy before six weeks. I still feel some pain and tightness while sitting. Is this normal after six weeks? I think I have anal stenosis. Stool is difficult to pass even when soft. Always have to strain and never passes naturally. I know I have a hard scar tissue. I...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, this is not normal. Pain could be due to fissure and stenosis of the anal opening, but it needs a physical examination to confirm it. I would suggest drinking lots of water, have fiber diet and chew the bolus properly to avoid constipation. You can also try any stool...  Read Full »

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »
Dr. Akant Kaushal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of burning sensation in anus following stools will be the consumption of spicy food. Another cause can be constipation, which can cause fissures around the anus. If this is the condition, apply Diltiazem gel 2 % three to four times a day for se...  Read Full »

It is painful to go to the loo. Is this hemorrhoids?
Query: Hello doctor,For the past six months, I have had a problem where it is very painful to go to the loo. Whenever I try, there is blood on the toilet paper as well as all over the toilet. I already tried two types of medication. I used suppository as well as a cream (Anusol HC) that goes on the outside...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your bleeding per anus is because of this anal problem. As per the image provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems to be piles along with tear or fissure also. Your proctoscopy anal and rectal examination needed to check that region properl...  Read Full »

I have sharp pain in my stomach after an appendectomy. Is this normal?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an appendectomy about two weeks ago with no complications, but since then I have been having sharp pains in my stomach similar to how the appendicitis felt. Both on the lower right and left. My back has also been sore and I have been severely constipated with sometimes green or y...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These can happen occasionally for two to three weeks. If you do not have any fever, then it is alright. Have soft feeds and lots of water daily. Avoid constipating foods like maize-based foods, bakery foods, etc. Take some mild analgesics like Buscopan (Butylscopolamin...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Stool Softener? We have medical experts to help you right away.