Sugar Level Variation

Related Terms: Diabetes, Hba1c, Insulin, Blood Sugar Levels, High Blood Sugar Level, Diabetic Retinopathy, Anxiety, Exercises

Am I diabetic or are my readings due to Seroquel?
Query: Hello doctor,My A1c is 5.4 and my fasting glucose is 107 and I was taking 800 mg of Seroquel which is a medication for paranoid schizophrenia and is known for causing diabetes and high blood sugar and five minutes after taking a 400 mg pill, one day my sugar went over 200 and the next day five minut...  Read Full »
Dr. Sreejith Mg
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Quetiapine (Seroquel) in such high doses may produce hyperglycemia. So, the first possibility is drug-induced hyperglycemia. So, try to reduce the dosage after consulting your doctor. You have to monitor your blood sugar regularly when you are taking these type of dr...  Read Full »

Why does home glucose monitor show higher reading than the lab?
Query: Hi doctor,My father checked his fasting sugar in a blood glucose home monitor using blood taken from pricking the finger and then putting drops of that blood on a test strip. It came out 130 mg/dL. Then, he went to a laboratory and there he gave his blood sample. In laboratory test, the fasting su...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, there shall be difference in reading of blood sugars checked through glucometer and that done in the laboratory. Because, laboratory check for serum blood glucose and home monitor check for blood glucose. There is a minor difference between blood and serum. ...  Read Full »

My husband had five episodes of hypoglycemia in a single day. What could be causing all these?
Query: Hi doctor, My husband has type 1 diabetes. He has had no Insulin today but has had five hypos today, and his sugar levels are dropping again. He had his regular food all day, drank juice and cans of coke. He has not done anything different to any other day and also has not been stressed either. He t...  Read Full »
Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long has he had diabetes? When you say hypo, what were his sugars? What is the dose of insulin that he is taking? Revert with the details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist  Read Full »

Is there anything to worry about raising blood sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather aged 79 years has diabetes for past 22 years. He has been on medication since then. He has other parameters normal but his sugar levels are quite high for some time. Before three months, the fasting blood glucose level was 116 mg/dl and postprandial blood glucose level ...  Read Full »
Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is doing really well. The change in his sugar levels is due to his age. As he ages, his body processes would start to derange even if they were previously stable. He can continue eating as he presently is. But, ask him to also avoid sugar-rich fruits whi...  Read Full »

What is an alternative to Lantus in controlling blood sugar level?
Query: Hello doctor, I have moderate NPDR and I am diabetic for the last 15 years. I am 189 cm tall and weigh 89 kg. I was taking fast acting insulin Humalog 25 and tablet Tragenta Duo 1000 1-0-1 for the past 2 years. After I found NPDR, I shifted to Lantus as the doctor said NPDR can cause sudden variat...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. NPDR (nonproliferative diabetic retinopathy) is one of the common complications of diabetes. We cannot prevent it completely, but we can delay it for years. Our target is to delay the proliferative phase by controlling the blood sugar level. Regarding your medications, th...  Read Full »

Is the variation in PPBS after 2nd and 3rd hour of meal normal?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old female. I have been checking my PPBS at home. But, there is a bit ambiguity in my results. My PPBS after two hours shows around 210 and if I check after three hours my PPBS levels up to 140. So, kindly please let me know that which test result am I supposed to consider....  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. You need to consider the postprandial report two hours post breakfast while checking blood sugar at home. This is very normal phenomenon that you are observing as one gets lower blood sugar levels after three hours. There is no doubt by these read...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have variation in the pulse rate during walking and at rest?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 year old. My sugar level is normal, TSH is 2.91 and cholesterol is 203. I am facing a problem with my pulse rate. It is between 115-120 when I walk or do any activity. But when I am in rest, it ranges between 80-100. I feel lightheadedness when I walk. Is it normal?  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cholesterol is in upper borderline. It will come down with low cholesterol diet and exercise daily. Heart rate more than 100 while walking is fine. From your history lightheadedness is the only problem. Is this lightheadedness significant? Do you feel like falling o...  Read Full »

Self-checking of Blood Glucose Level at Home for Diabetes Patients
Article Overview: This article discusses about self-checking of glucose level at home which is helpful and recommended, but variations can occur. Once in 3 months HbA1C level estimation is recommended.  Read Article »
Dr. Ajit V
Diabetologist

Any food or drink intake alters the metabolic milieu in the body. For example, insulin is released, digestion happens and glucose levels rise in the blood. Therefore the blood glucose levels rise and fall with each episode of food intake.  Self-checking of blood glucose looks at the glucose ...  Read Article »

Please review my blood sugar reports and let me know if I am diabetic.
Query: Hello doctor, I started taking medicine for diabetes from last year. Then after two months, I had to stop because my sugar went down very much. And sometimes, I had to eat glucose to maintain the sugar level. I used to continuously check my blood sugar levels after every 2 to 3 months. As the tests...  Read Full »
Dr. Sreejith Mg
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your blood sugar is not under control. Everyone whose HbA1c is more than 6.4, have diabetes. Always keep HbA1c less than 7, for better control of DM (diabetes mellitus) type 2. Your other blood r...  Read Full »

For uncontrolled diabetes, is Glycomet-GP2 better than Glycomet-GP3?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a medical student doing my internship. My father has been suffering from fever since seven days up to 101 F. I have given him Ofloxacin 200 mg 2 times a day. But, the cause of the fever is unknown. All the blood reports are negative. He is a known diabetic since 20 years and his bloo...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your father is having continuous fever for seven days with negative blood reports then probably a detailed evaluation is required. Tablet Ofloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic against most bacterial infections and if his fever is not improving and blood culture ...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Sugar Level Variation? We have medical experts to help you right away.