Tonsil Stones

Related Terms: Tonsillolith., Tonsils, Tonsillitis, Chronic Tonsillitis, Tonsillectomy, Pharyngitis, Throat Infection

Tonsil Stones and an Altered Sense Of Smell
Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full »

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full »

While Trying To Remove Tonsil Stones There Was Bleeding. What Can I Do?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »

How can the formation of tonsil stones be prevented?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from tonsil stones and I am very much irritated by them. Can you please tell me how to cure them and how to prevent them? I have not taken any medicines until now.  Read Full »
Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones are formed due to deposition of lime salts in tonsils after blockage of crypts in tonsils. Treatment involves removal of stones by an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. Recurrent stones are treated by tonsillectomy. In the meanw...  Read Full »

Are My Sinus Issues And Tonsil Stones Related?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had sinus problems my whole life, getting sinus infections every year or sometimes twice a year, constantly having drainage in the back of my throat) and it was only annoying until a few days ago. Four days ago, I learned I had tonsil stones when I coughed up about 10 (no photos...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you want to know if your tonsil and sinus problems are related. Yes. Recurrent post nasal drip due to sino-nasal infection or chronic sinusitis can cause local infection in the tonsils which make the tonsillar crypts produce thick and excess mucus. T...  Read Full »

Why is there a swollen tonsil after tonsil stones removal?
Query: Hello doctor, Two days ago, I removed my tonsil stones with a cotton swab at home. How long after the removal of the stones does the tonsil remain swollen?  Read Full »
Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stone removal by self is often accompanied by tonsillitis or inflammation of tonsil. Swelling of the tonsils is occurring probably due to that. I suggest you gargle with lukewarm water with a pinch of salt twice daily. That will help you to reduce the swelling...  Read Full »

My son has a small hole on the wall of his mouth that releases stones. What can it be?
Query: Hello doctor, My 8 year old son has a small hole in the back wall of his mouth. He has seen a number of GPs and consultants. None of them know what it is or can explain it. They are not going to continue to review it as they say it is not a problem. I would like to know how what it is and if anythi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, the hole seems to release tonsil stones. In that case, it must be a tonsillar crypt. The hole is in the anterior pillar. Usually, tonsillar crypts open into the oropharynx area behind the pillar and not through the pillar. And, I can see enlarged...  Read Full »

I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsil. What could it be?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a yellowish pus sac on my tonsils left side which I noticed a few days ago. A doctor says he thinks it is ectopic, I do not know what that is, but I can submit to you a picture of the spot on my tonsils. I have a good picture of it. I was sick about a month ago with a fever for a...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iciniq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The yellowish pus sac is a tonsil stone, known as tonsillolith. It occurs due to the accumulation of tonsillar secretions and some minerals inside the tonsillar crypt and obstruction to its free f...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

A yellow lesion appeared on the tonsil and capillaries have widened. What is this?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a cold starting with a sore throat, followed by nasal congestion and post nasal drip/coughing. In the past few days, a yellow lesion appeared on my left tonsil. I have attached a picture. As you can see, capillaries have widened on this tonsil and it appears red. What is this?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is acute inflammation of your pharynx. That is the reason for widened capillaries. The yellow spot could be pus pointing or a tonsil stone. You need a course of antibiotics, decongestant...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Tonsil Stones? We have medical experts to help you right away.