Tooth Abscess

Related Terms: Root Canal Treatment, Abscessed Tooth, Tooth Extraction, Amoxicillin, Antibiotics, Infected Tooth, Toothache

Is this a tooth abscess or root canal?
Query: Hello doctor,Is this a tooth abscess or root canal may be?  Read Full »
Dr. Divya Banu M
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and based on that, I would say that your wisdom tooth has caries (cavity) that seems to be deep. Secondly, it has not erupted (come out) completely into the oral cavity and the gu...  Read Full »

I have a tooth abscess and the pain is getting worse. Should I look for another dentist?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess in the lower molar. There is much pain, swelling, painful jaw and lymph nodes. The dentist prescribed Amoxycillin and extraction scheduled for nine days from today. I have been on the antibiotics for 48 hours. The pain is getting worse, not better. Should I look...  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your problem. A tooth abscess is a painful condition and needs antibiotic cover along with painkillers for relief. So, first of all, please let me know if are you advised any painkillers along with Amoxicillin. If yes, please write the name of the p...  Read Full »

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?
Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pulpectomy is suggested as the front milk tooth has to remain at the position for about 7 to 8 years till the permanent tooth comes out. Else, the growth will be affected. If the kid cannot remain calm then extraction is possible. For more information consult a den...  Read Full »

Can Ciprofloxacin be taken for a dental abscess?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibi...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Amoxicillin is still a better antibiotic for a dental abscess as compared to other medicines. It is the first choice of medicine even for a dental abscess. It is better to continue with am...  Read Full »

My face has swollen after a gum abscess. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess in my gums. I went to the hospital yesterday and they prescribed me 500 mg Penicillin to be taken four times a day. I started the Penicillin at 10 AM yesterday. The abscess has caused my face to swell. Overnight, the swelling has spread to the area around my eye. I ...  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a tooth abscess. As you already know, the tooth is involved. So, I would suggest you get an x-ray of the tooth done. As the infection is severe, I suggest you take stronger antibiotics like Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). Also, start taking S...  Read Full »

I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?
Query: Hi doctor, I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my too...  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Failure of local anesthesia can be due to causes like poor quality of the anesthetic solution, a poor technique of administration, localized infection in the tooth, abscess formation, certain mutations, etc. Drinking few cold drinks has no effect on anesthesia. So, my sug...  Read Full »

I request for a second opinion of my CT scan.I suspect a possible brain hemorrhage.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. CT scan came up negative for problems associated with infection. I request for second opinion for possible hemorrhage/brain aneurysm or complications due to infection. I have attached the reports. Associated Problems: Tooth abscess.  Symptoms: Light headedness, seve...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail and have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) The CT scan images have been acquired with a good machine and the images are clear. There is no reason to suspect any hemorrhage, aneurysm or infection in ...  Read Full »

Is there a better way to remove teeth in a 5-year-old other than putting him to sleep?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a 5-year-old with a front tooth abscess and four cavities in the back teeth. The dentist wants to put him to sleep and do at once. Is there a different or better way you do not wanna have him put to sleep?  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At 5 years, it should be possible to make him calm with just a nitrous oxide inhalation, if possible. If he is not cooperating, then either just give him antibiotics for a week, delay for a month or so like that. Brush twice a day. The abscess and pain will go away f...  Read Full »

I am passing maroon colored stools. Could it be due to stomach bleeding?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old female of 5'6" and weighs 250 lbs. Currently, I am on an antibiotic for tooth abscess. I have been taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol for the pain. Now, I believe that I may have stomach bleeding due to a maroonish colored stool. I just need to know if I should visit the ER r...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might be having gastritis because of Ibuprofen and resulting into maroonish stools. Are you having that more than once since a couple of days?In the case of stomach bleeding, the stools are very dark and more blackish like tar rather than maroonish.If you are feeling we...  Read Full »

I have a node on the neck after forced sex. Could this be due to HIV?
Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a man who forced himself on me. Five days later, a node on the right side of my neck appeared with a sore throat. I went to the doctor, explained everything, took an HIV test and it came back negative. The node is hard and gets soft sometimes but has been there...  Read Full »
Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lymphadenopathy is not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and probably caused by infected teeth as HIV infection takes approximately six months to one year to get lymphadenopathy. Get HIV test after 45 to 90 days with generation four dual tests or western blo...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Tooth Abscess? We have medical experts to help you right away.