Urinary Tract Infection

Related Terms: Uti, Urinary Tract Infections (UTI), Urine Culture, Urinary Infections, Kidney Stones, Urine Analysis, Diabetes

Urinary Tract Infection- a Brief Overview

Article Overview: Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is a common condition especially in women and it often remains undiagnosed and untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about UTI, its symptoms and treatment.  Read Article »
Dr. Pir Muhammad Siddique
Urologist

Urinary Tract Infection Urinary tract consists of kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder and the urethra. Urine produced by the kidneys passes down the ureters and is stored in the urinary bladder until it is voided through the urethra. Infection most commonly involves the lower urinary tract which inc ...  Read Article »

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 51 year old male. I had a urinary tract infection, and it was diagnosed as coagulase-negative Staphylococci. The laboratory report advised using Macrobid or Cloxacillin. Two weeks ago, I had Sulfa drugs, a combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim and Macrobid. The infectio...  Read Full »
Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having recurrent or persistent urinary infection. It could be due to incorrect antibiotic or inadequate duration or due to prostatitis. You need to repeat a urine culture after retracting the foreskin and taking midstream sample. If your doctor can do a prostat...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent urinary tract infections are common in post and perimenopausal women. You need to get a urine culture and routine investigation, so that culture guided antibiotics can be given. In these cases plenty of fluids and urine alkalizer syrups are also very helpful...  Read Full »

Effective Ways to Reduce the Risk of Urinary Tract Infection in Women

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed a few effective ways to prevent urinary tract infection in women.  Read Article »
Dr. Vandana Andrews
Urologist

Urinary tract infection is more common in women than in men, because the urethra is shorter and closer to the anus than it is in men. Bacteria have a shorter distance to travel and can reach the bladder more easily in women. The most UTIs are caused due to bacteria sticking to the wall of the bladde ...  Read Article »

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection (E.coli) three months back. I took Ciprofloxacin for 10 days, but there is no sign of improvement. Now I have a dull pain in the back region, waist, and sometimes at flank. There is complete body weakness, mild fever, tingling sensation at h...  Read Full »
Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like an upper urinary tract infection. Get your urine test done in a place where they check whether it is E.Coli (Escherichia Coli) or ESBL (Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases). Also, do an ultrasonography for the bladder to check post void residue. Start ta...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, My 1.5 year old baby has suffered from UTI for the last 18 days. The culture report showed Klebsiella pneumoniae 100000 cfu/mL. Her doctor said Colistin is sensitive and she has been treated with Colistin and catheter IV for 15 days. But, her infection is not clearing and is going up ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby has proven UTI - urinary tract infection with Klebsiella and is Colistin sensitive and unfortunately not responding. Also, she had bilateral reflux, which is prone to cause recurrent UTI. The reason for persistent urine infection may be underlying anatom...  Read Full »

How to Prevent Urinary Infection in Women?

Article Overview: Urinary tract infection is a very common problem during the lifetime of women, affecting nearly half of them. It can be recurrent and annoying. It is more common during sexually active period. Try these simple and effective measures to keep the annoying urinary infection at bay!  Read Article »
Dr. Raguram Ganesamoni
Urologist

Urinary tract infection (UTI) starts as a mild burning sensation during voiding and can lead to more dangerous kidney infection. The scientific basis of UTI is to be understood in order to stop it. Normal urine is sterile, that is it does not contain any bacteria. When some bacteria enter the urinar ...  Read Article »

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »
Dr. Girish C Kamat
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your partner has urinary tract infection. She needs to do a urine culture and sensitivity. Meanwhile, get examined by a gynecologist to know the local source of infection. If she is symptomatic, with fever or burning micturition, then she needs to take a course of antib...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am married and have no baby yet. A year ago, for the first time, I noticed blood in urine and painful urination. After two days of intercourse, I face this problem. When I was 14 years old, I suffered from hematuria. I took Pause, Mix 500 and Alkasol for relief. Please tell me the treat...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a urinary tract infection, mostly cystitis. It occurs due to unhygienic peri genital condition. In order to prevent UTI keep your perineal area clean like cleaning after intercourse and daily cleaning of the area during bathing. For the cure, you will need an ant...  Read Full »

{{item.dr_name}}
{{item.sp}}  

Do you have a question on Urinary Tract Infection? We have medical experts to help you right away.