Urticaria

Related Terms: Levocetirizine, Allergy, Skin Rashes, Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria, Antihistamines, Itching, Hives

Urticaria - a Frequently Occurring Skin Disease
Article Overview: Urticaria or hives is a common concern. Here, I have discussed the common causes and management of urticaria.  Read Article »

Urticaria is a skin disease consisting of a wheal and flare reaction. In urticaria, the localized wheal is surrounded by an area of redness that is typically itchy. In case of hives, a local increase of the permeability of the capillaries and small venules result in transient, erythematous or edemat ...  Read Article »

Urticaria - Causes and Treatment
Article Overview: Urticaria is a condition that is characterized by the presence of wheels or hives over the body. Usually, it occurs alone but may also occur along with swelling of lips, eyes, and face (angioedema).  Read Article »
Dr. Rabia

Urticaria is a condition that is characterized by the presence of wheels or hives over the body. Usually, it occurs alone but may also occur along with swelling of lips, eyes, and face (angioedema). Which Is the Most Common Symptom Seen? Patients who experience urticaria have itching over the area ...  Read Article »

My wife has urticaria. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife has been treated for urticaria. I would keep a possibility of idiopathic urticaria/hives. It presents as sudden skin welts/swellings, which can be distributed all over the body. Itching is usually severe; however it is subjective in individuals. The c...  Read Full »

Please suggest homeopathy medicine for urticaria.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with having urticaria (burning, itching sensations throughout the body from head to toe). It started out in an acute way but is turning out to be chronic. It has been more than two and a half months and I am still suffering from it...  Read Full »
Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your thyroid profile is normal, and serum triglycerides level is a little bit high. For urticaria, in homeopathy, we have best remedies. So, you need not worry about your problem. Your blood ...  Read Full »

Role of Biologics (Omalizumab) in Chronic Urticaria
Article Overview: Omalizumab is a newer therapy for patients with chronic urticaria. In this article, I have discussed in detail about the mechanism of action, use, dosage, side effects and precautions of Omalizumab.  Read Article »

Omalizumab, an antibody derived from murine blood acts against human immunoglobulin E (IgE). This drug was approved by FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for use in chronic idiopathic urticaria. It can be used in a patient who does not respond to approved doses of H1 antihistamines. Mechanism of Ac ...  Read Article »

Is it safe to use Xolair for urticaria?
Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from preliminary chronic urticaria for unknown causes for the last 13 years. It is not responding to antihistamine treatment for the past six years. Sometimes, it gets as severe as I have to use Corticosterone injection (Diprofos). All blood analysis showed no cause....  Read Full »
Dr. Chaitra Prakash
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Chronic idiopathic urticaria is a type of urticaria (wheals). It is a disturbing illness and difficult to manage. Most urticaria patients benefit from prolonged antihistamines and some may require immune suppressing drugs like Cyclosporine t...  Read Full »

Would you recommend photo test for solar urticaria?
Query: Hi doctor, Eight years ago, my family and I went on a vacation. When my mother got out of one of the outdoor pools, she started feeling a sting on her arms and all of her legs below the knees. She has been to the doctor for this condition and she has gotten numerous ointments. The only ointment that...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you explained that your mother has developed solar urticaria. Here I explain a few other importance of solar urticaria. Intense itching, swelling and rashes develop in sunlight. You can correlate it. Whenever she goes in the sun, she gets these things. If you ...  Read Full »

Autologous Serum Therapy - a Newer Approach in Management of Chronic Urticaria
Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the mechanism of action and procedure details of autologous serum therapy.  Read Article »
Allergy Specialist

The treatment of choice for chronic urticaria is the first generation antihistamines at a maximal dose before restoring to corticosteroids or Cyclosporine. To avoid the various side effects of steroids and expensiveness of Cyclosporine, there is a method with no side effects and cheap to prepare, kn ...  Read Article »

My hair is falling out in clumps due to severe stress. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old female. I have been experiencing hair fall in clumps since the last two weeks, so much so that, I have lost half of my hair. The last one month, I have been under stress because of my father's death. I have consulted a dermatologist and have got some tests done as s...  Read Full »
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For urticaria, you should take only antihistamine. Steroids are advised if there is no relief with an antihistamine for even eight weeks. Secondly, a major cause for Telogen effluvium hair loss can be low hemoglobin levels. You are on the right medic...  Read Full »

Can you help with my urticarial vasculitis?
Query: Hi doctor, For the past one year, I have been having bouts of urticarial vasculitis with lumps under skin on upper arms which turn to large rusty red areas before bruising yellow and fading away. The rash is transient and moves around the body across thighs, etc. My knees go red and there is a blue ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, urticaria can be very disabling. I am not sure if they done the biopsy of the lesion yet, but to label it as vasculitis we need a biopsy. The reason is difference in management between urticarial vasculitis and urticaria. Also, could you give me more details on...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Urticaria? We have medical experts to help you right away.