Ventricular Peritoneal Shunt

Related Terms: Hydrocephalus, Treatment For Hydrocephalus, Meningitis, Stroke, Abnormally Large Head, Baclofen, Bedsore

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes and treatment of neural tube defects.  Read Article »
Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

What is Spina Bifida? Spina bifida is a condition resulting from the malformation of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and spine to varying degrees that occurs within the first month after conception (pregnancy).   Causes of Neural Tube Defects: The embryonic tissues which will later specialize ...  Read Article »

What Causes Hydrocephalus?
Article Overview: Increase in brain pressure from disturbances in the circulation of cerebrospinal fluid causes a condition called hydrocephalus which if left untreated can cause permanent neurological dysfunction or death. Successful surgical treatment has helped thousands of people affected by this disease to live independent and useful lives.  Read Article »
Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

The brain has two circulations. Blood which carries oxygen, glucose, nutrients and proteins which brain cells need to survive comes to the brain through arteries from the heart and returns waste to the heart through veins. A second circulation consists of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)  that ...  Read Article »

Other than Baclofen, which medicine can be used for muscle stiffness?
Query: Hi doctor, My dad is without ventilator support since 40 days and his tracheostomy has also removed five days back. Without any life support system, he is currently breathing by himself for last 7-8 days with saturation level 100% on air. Past four days he is able to keep his eyes open for few minu...  Read Full »
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed information. I am happy to see your father improve gradually. Here is what I suggest. There is no other medicine for stiffness. However, physiotherapy should be carried out aggressively to prevent worsening of stiffness. One should rule out infe...  Read Full »

My mother suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, and she is in a coma. Can she recover?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother suffered a hemorrhagic stroke a couple of months back. They had to put a tube in her head to drain the fluid, and also put her in a coma. I was told that she would have a slim chance of coming out of this coma. My mom eventually had a shunt put in her head, because the fluid ...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The neurological deficit in a patient who suffered from hemorrhagic stroke depends on the areas of the brain affected and the pressure from the edema. The tube in the brain (external ventricular drain or ventriculoperitoneal shunt) are management for that edema press...  Read Full »

Fetus revealed with mild hydrocephalus. Is it a serious condition?
Query: Hi doctor, Mild hydrocephalus shown with breech presentation in 36 weeks ultrasound scan. None of the previous report showed any abnormality. Genetic test done earlier in 2nd trimester was also normal. I want to understand what should be the next step for a healthy and sound mother and baby. I had a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mild hydrocephalus is possible at term and if the biparietal diameter on ultrasound is less than 10 cm then it is still fine. Ideally targeted scan can be done to check for any aqueductal stenosis congenitally, but it is unlikely. The size of the biparietal diameter sh...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Ventricular Peritoneal Shunt? We have medical experts to help you right away.