Voice Abuse

I am a singer.I have sore throat and unable to sing or even speak normally.Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male and I have been suffering from sore throat for 2 and a half months now. It all started in late December. I am a singer, and I came down with a very light cold. Due to the weather, I had a light sore throat. During this time, I had to sing and speak loudly with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You are a singer and that signifies the history of voice abuse which might be the cause. Due to voice abuse, vocal cords get fatigue and swollen which result in hoarseness of voice. All you need is a voice rest. Avoid talking as much as poss...  Read Full »

How to cure vocal folds swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from vocal folds swelling. I feel my voice is too low. Local ENT specialist advised me to take steam through mouth. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vocal cord swelling may be due to various causes like respiratory tract infection, gastric reflux, voice abuse, etc. So, first thing you need to do is absolute voice rest for couple of days and maintaining proper voice hygiene. Except that to minimize reflux, avoid spicy ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can very well understand your problem. Teacher's nodules (vocal cord nodules) occur in teachers, singers and children due to vocal trauma. Voice rest is the foremost recommended treatment for such nodule. I know due to your profession you cannot do this. But, try to giv...  Read Full »

My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing. The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it i...  Read Full »

My husband is abusive and addicted to alcohol. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been married for eight years, it was a love marriage, and things were fine initially. Three years back, my husband left his job to pursue his passion for becoming an entrepreneur, and I supported him in whichever way I could, both mentally and financially. But, things did not go a...  Read Full »

Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I am totally against any form of abuse, so do not endorse any idea of suffering with your current husband. There is a definite need to seek advice if things are not working despite making compromises at ...  Read Full »

Having some kind of throat congestion. Please give some solution.

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my problem does not seem to be a serious one, but as of now it has become really annoying for me. Basically, I am giving some singing auditions. But, the problem is continuously for a period of some past eight to nine months I am having some kind of my congestion in my throat, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are facing this problem because you are putting strain on your sound box and vocal cords. You need to take a break. Give rest to your sound box for 10 to 14 days. Take plenty of water. Do steam inhalation twice a day. Also, I suggest you use some anti-inflammatory med...  Read Full »

I am hearing a voice saying something odd. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I know it is something odd, but I have to ask. These days I am hearing something odd. I do not like hearing or to say I am being pissed by that. I am hearing a voice saying that your height will increase if you masturbate. I guess it as an odd hearing. Please help.  Read Full »

Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to assure you that around 5% of us experience such voices in our lifetime. The possibility is generally higher during teenage. I am not aware of your age. If you are a teenager, then this could be a n...  Read Full »

I feel panic to face people in public. Is it fine to take Inderal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting panic to face people. I want to overcome it as it makes me sad. I am a teacher and this frustrates me when I have to say something in front of pupils. When I am in class I do not have a problem. But for example, when all the students gathered in the yard I used to avoid speak...  Read Full »

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms and details you have mentioned clearly suggest social anxiety disorder. In social situations like speaking in front of a gathering, talking to someone of high reputation, speaking with opposite sex individuals develop anxiety symptoms like redness of fac...  Read Full »

Please give some tips to improve my speech and articulation skill.

Query: Hi doctor, My voice is very low. I am not able to scold or intimidate anyone. When my friends abuse me, I am not able to reply them. They take advantage of me. They never heed my words. Sometimes, I feel much worried about it. I also hesitate and vibrate while talking. People keep me down with their...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported by you, the possibility of you have stuttering is very high. If you are scared of people do activities, which would decrease your confidence, then make sure that you stay in a positive environment. Practice in front of a mirror. Try to do activities that wo...  Read Full »

I have white patches in the throat and reddened soft palate. Is it oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having oral symptoms for the last six months or so. I also have been a heavy drinker for the past seven to eight years. I discontinued this in January of this year. Started in the fall of last year with allergy, cold symptoms and has continued to the present day even getti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you stopped drinking. Meanwhile, I do not find any cancerous lesion in the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, none of the pictures show the posterior pharyngeal wall. If you can take a better picture it will b...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.