Voice Rest

How to get rid of teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can very well understand your problem. Teacher's nodules (vocal cord nodules) occur in teachers, singers and children due to vocal trauma. Voice rest is the foremost recommended treatment for such nodule. I know due to your profession you cannot do this. But, try to giv...  Read Full »

How to cure vocal folds swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from vocal folds swelling. I feel my voice is too low. Local ENT specialist advised me to take steam through mouth. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vocal cord swelling may be due to various causes like respiratory tract infection, gastric reflux, voice abuse, etc. So, first thing you need to do is absolute voice rest for couple of days and maintaining proper voice hygiene. Except that to minimize reflux, avoid spicy ...  Read Full »

I am a singer.I have sore throat and unable to sing or even speak normally.Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male and I have been suffering from sore throat for 2 and a half months now. It all started in late December. I am a singer, and I came down with a very light cold. Due to the weather, I had a light sore throat. During this time, I had to sing and speak loudly with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You are a singer and that signifies the history of voice abuse which might be the cause. Due to voice abuse, vocal cords get fatigue and swollen which result in hoarseness of voice. All you need is a voice rest. Avoid talking as much as poss...  Read Full »

I had throat pain after singing, is that due to vocal strain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection. Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle ...  Read Full »

What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week. Persisting for little over a month now.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long you have been having this problem? As per the picture, it has been there on only one cord. If it is early stages, conservative management can be tried. Did your doctor tell you about it? One month duration is a bit less to decide on surgery I feel. You s...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle tension dysphonia takes time to get cured. A few sessions of speech therapy are not going to rid you of the problem. Muscle tension dysphonia occurs due to various reasons and can be present after laryngitis or pneumonia as in your case. As an ENT surgeon, I w...  Read Full »

Having some kind of throat congestion. Please give some solution.

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my problem does not seem to be a serious one, but as of now it has become really annoying for me. Basically, I am giving some singing auditions. But, the problem is continuously for a period of some past eight to nine months I am having some kind of my congestion in my throat, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are facing this problem because you are putting strain on your sound box and vocal cords. You need to take a break. Give rest to your sound box for 10 to 14 days. Take plenty of water. Do steam inhalation twice a day. Also, I suggest you use some anti-inflammatory med...  Read Full »

My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing. The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it i...  Read Full »

My voice is so hoarse I can barely speak. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Good day to you. I was having post nasal drip all last week. Yesterday, it was going away, but today I woke up and my voice is almost gone. I can barely speak. My throat does not hurt. It just feels a little scratchy, constant clearing of throat too and I have developed a cough now wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have a typical case of laryngitis associated with viral infection. You should rest the voice, that is, speak less until you feel like the symptoms are resolving. Avoid throat clearing as it irritates the throat further and hinders healing. Steam inhalat...  Read Full »

What can be done for fever and hoarseness of voice in 60 year old female?

Query: Hello doctor,This query is regarding my 60-year-old mother. She has fever and hoarseness of voice since three days. We did her CBC. Kindly suggest next steps.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kanna Subramaniam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have not mentioned anything about any other symptoms or other associated illnesses let me assume there is nothing like that for her. Here your mother's CBC (complete blood count) is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nothing abnormal in tha...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.

Ask a Specialist Now

Get Expert advice/consultation in 3 steps
1
Describe your health issue
2
Upload documents
3
Pay consultation fee