Q. My wife is 30 days pregnant. Can she take MTP pills?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 24, 2020

My wife had a C-section delivery twice in two consecutive years, definitely with no complications. Now she is pregnant again after five years. Can we take MTP pills as we do not want a baby now? She is 30 days pregnant. Please help us with this issue.

#

I have gone through the details mentioned by you and would help you out for sure. See, as your wife already had cesarean sections twice in two consecutive years, the risk to the scarred uterus with medications or surgical evacuation does exist. But as the pregnancy is very early, medications can be tried to induce abortion. But it should be under the guidance and supervision and planning of a gynecologist.

You should visit your gynecologist once and get a scan first to locate the site of pregnancy, to rule out any ectopic pregnancy (outside of the uterus, most commonly in a tube, or sometimes in the previous scar site), which if undiagnosed and given medications to abort may put the patient's life at risk as it may lead to intra-abdominal bleeding due to rupture of the fallopian tube (in case of ectopic pregnancy) or uterus (in case of a scar pregnancy).

Medications for pregnancy termination should be taken only under the guidance of an expert gynecologist after thorough evaluation, as incomplete miscarriages may end up profuse bleeding and, in turn, hospitalizations and sometimes can be life-threatening due to subsequent infections and sepsis. Also, as previously mentioned, ruptures are even life threatening problems.

So please approach your gynecologist as soon as possible, get an ultrasound, and then plan for her termination of pregnancy as per the wish of you both.

If you do not wish any more future pregnancies, ideal in your case would be to go for a surgical evacuation under ultrasound guidance (would be safer) and get Family planning surgery (tubal ligation) done in the same settings to avoid this repeated troubles of accidental pregnancies. Or at least consider opting for an Intrauterine device like Copper T as a birth control method.

I hope this information helps you in guiding through this issue. Please feel free to revert anytime for any further queries or doubts.

|