Medicine Use During Breastfeeding

Is it safe to take Triphala during breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years old. I delivered a baby two months ago. My issue is that due to hard motion, there is blood. I am taking Anuloma DS tablet. If I stop taking the tablet, again my motion will be hard and bleeding is there. Shall I take this medicine regularly as the baby is small? So help m...  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Definitely, you should be careful about medications whatever you are taking during the lactation period. Because it may affect the baby's health. During pregnancy and after delivery constipation is a common issue. You should try to manage it naturally. Anuloma DS i...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Omeprazole when breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am nursing a 2 month old, and I was told that I need to take Omeprazole. I have gallstones. So, my question is, is it safe to take 40 mg Omeprazole once daily while breastfeeding? My PCP says I should not, but the baby's pediatrician said it is alright. So, I am not sure what to do.  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Every drug taken by the mother will affect the baby. Omeprazole has fewer side effects, but it is not thoroughly studied for a breastfeeding mother. So, it is best that you take it on and off. Gallstones do not necessarily require Omeprazole. I suggest you avo...  Read Full »

Can taking Eptoin while breastfeeding affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is taking Eptoin 100 thrice in a day. Just 13 days back she delivered a baby girl. Should I be worried about this when she is feeding the baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Eptoin during whole pregnancy can cause fetal hydantoin syndrome and also can cause neural tube defects. Phenytoin is secreted in breast milk but the most chance of baby getting affected are in the first three months of pregnancy. But in your case, she already delivered ...  Read Full »

Can Cefuroxime be taken by a breastfeeding mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is suffering from fever from the last 3 to 4 days. She was taking P650, Calpol 500 twice daily. But the fever is still persisting. Today we contacted a local doctor and he prescribed Zocef CV 500 antibiotic course for three days. But we have a one and half-month-old baby girl ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Though the low level of Cefuroxime (Zocef) is being secreted in breast milk and postulated possible side effects are a change of intestinal flora of the baby and may lead to diarrhea. But the prospective studies failed to show such kind of the side effects in the study ...  Read Full »

My wife has swelling and pain on her toe. Does she require surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has swelling and pain on her toe (pictures attached). Sometimes, blood and pus also secrete from it. Can you please suggest what we should do? Can this be healed through medicine? Please advise the medicine we should use. Does she require any surgery? Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Does she have any comorbidities like diabetes? Does she have a fever too? It looks like a condition called paronychia or periungual abscess, an infection of the nail fold and bed. It needs the f...  Read Full »

Which tablet to take to delay periods for vacation while still breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I am breastfeeding (not exclusively) my 9-month-old baby due to which I am having irregular periods almost every month. They get delayed for 10 to 15 days. Now, I am on vacation and really do not want my periods for at least 10 days to come as there will be a lot o...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In breastfeeding, serum prolactin increases. That helps in milk production. Even for increasing breast milk production, sometimes prolactin has been given. Prolactin depresses/reduces/disturbs the menstrual cycle. Before six months of age, breastfeeding mothers bett...  Read Full »

Please suggest flu medicines that are safe for a lactating mother.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife today woke up with a bit of body ache, sore throat, and slight fever. She is a lactating mother of a 12 month old baby girl. She is also believed to get pregnant this week. So kindly prescribe the required medicines for her to take which are safe both for a lactating mother and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She will need to rely mostly on home remedies as she is lactating. However, I did not understand the part where you have mentioned she is expecting to get pregnant this week. It is harmful to her health if she conceives again so soon as I am sure you must be aware. K...  Read Full »

I had unprotected sex with my wife a month after her delivery. Is she pregnant again?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby on the 8th of last month. On the 13th of this month, we had unprotected intercourse. The delivery was a normal delivery. My baby was formula-fed for the first two days as my wife did not have milk and now, is completely on breastfeed. Is it possible that she co...  Read Full »

Dr. Meeta Airen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During the first few weeks after delivery, ovulation is unpredictable. Ideally, until six weeks there is no chance of pregnancy, but only if totally breastfed. I suggest she get a serum beta hCG test done. For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist ...  Read Full »