Q. Do I need immediate attention for the dark patch on my skin?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I have a dark patch on my skin. It is not itchy, swollen or bumpy. It is just discolored skin. It is about the size of a quarter coin. It is evenly colored. It has been there since about four years and it may have become a little bigger. But, I am not sure. I wanted to know if I have anything drastic or needs immediate attention since I may not have access to a doctor until next month.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.

It is an acquired Melanocytic Nevus.

They are considered benign melanomas and nothing actively needs to be done for them.

If the mole shows sudden increase in size, differential pigmentation, bleeding, irregular borders, etc., then you may go for skin biopsy.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online ---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for the quick response. I feel a lot comfortable knowing that it is not something too drastic. Do you suggest me to go for some treatment for it? Or shall I just observe it?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• No treatment is needed. Just keep an eye for the rare danger signs that I have already mentioned.
  • If you want to get it removed for purely cosmetic reasons, then you may go for laser treatment.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|