Q. I have a dark painless brown spot on my foot. Should I get that removed?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have a dark mark on the foot, originally dark brown (mole-colored) with red hints. Now it is faded with a reddish tinge. Though it is flat, I can feel a slight rise when I run the finger over it. And it is painless. The shape is two small circles linked together, a little like two cherries joined without a stalk. It has a faint reddish shadow between two circles

#

Could you tell me the duration of the skin lesion? Also, I would like to get a picture of your lesion if that is possible. Color changes, as described by you, is not good. Do you notice any sudden growth or pain?

I have attached two images. The first is the original mark. The second is its current state. The mark has been there for several weeks now, roughly a month. There is no pain. And the growth is just the shadow that seems to have appeared in the second picture.

#

The photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) seems like an old bruise or a melanocytic nevus (mole). Melanocytic nevus is a benign condition, and the patient seeks treatment for cosmetic reasons only.

I also suggest you get a dermoscopic investigation to be sure and to rule out the possibility of melanoma.

Acquired melanocytic nevi.

Dermoscopy.

Bruise, melanoma.

Acquired melanocytic nevi.

If benign needs treatment only for cosmetic reason.

|