Q. Observed few changes in a mole. Is it something alarming?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

Hi doctor,My relative, who is 55 years old, has a red color mole like thing in her forearm. She has been having this red color mole since so many years. Today only we noticed that there are small fresh red dots inside it. It looks new. What could it be? No other associated symptoms. We are worried if this might be something alarming. What should we do? Please explain in detail. She is hypothyroid and on medication for the past two years. She is also taking medication for more than 8 to 10 years for her cholesterol issue.

#

If there is a change in color, size, margin and shape in a pre-existing mole, especially in this age, then it is always an alarming sign.

As you said it is changing its texture and color, then yes definitely. We should suspect about melanoma.

In your case it is very difficult to say either it is a just normal change in a mole or precancerous change.

• You have to get a simple excisional biopsy. It is a very simple 10 minute procedure in which we take out hole mole from the skin by the help of punch and sent to the laboratory for investigation. If it comes cancerous, then we further can go for small surgery to clear the margins.
  • Skin heals normally after biopsy and it is a day care process. I would suggest you to get a biopsy done to clear all the doubts.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|