HomeAnswersNeurologymemory lossMy mother is suffering with memory loss after a stroke. Please help.

How can I help my mom struggling with short-term memory loss after a stroke?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 16, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 10, 2023

Patient's Query

My mom has been affected by a stroke, resulting in difficulties with her long-term memory. However, her short-term memory is particularly affected, and she struggles to retain recent information. Please help.

I understand that it is difficult to see your mother in such a situation. I will do my best to provide you with a helpful response.

However, based on the limited information you provided about your mother, it is challenging to give a precise answer. To better understand her condition, it is important to know more details about her stroke, such as whether it was ischemic or hemorrhagic, as well as the size and location of the stroke. Additionally, information about any underlying diseases she may have, such as hypertension, diabetes, or hyperlipidemia, would be helpful.

From what you have described, it appears that your mother is experiencing recent memory dysfunction. In such cases, the main question that arises is whether it is related to dementia or Alzheimer's disease. To determine the specific cause, more data is needed. It is important to note that memory dysfunction does not always indicate dementia, although the likelihood increases with age. If it is indeed dementia, there are various types, with Alzheimer's disease being the most common. Another prevalent form of dementia is vascular dementia, which is caused by multiple stroke events. These strokes can be small or occur in brain regions that do not result in weakness, paralysis, or motor signs but rather cognitive dysfunction. Therefore, in your mother's case, it appears that she is experiencing memory impairment or dementia. However, determining the exact type and developing an appropriate treatment plan would require additional information. I hope this helps you out. Kindly follow-up with more details for further diagnosis and treatment.

Thanks and regards.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the response.

I would like to see if you could read what I have attached. I attached all of her doctors' visits and notes, laboratory results, and her referral for a neurologist appointment. But I would like to see if you could have a video conference with my mom to prove that she is unable to work. She has not been able to work for three years because social security has been denying her claim, which is completely wrong. Our issue is we do not have a home, and the stress is making things worse due to no money. It is unfortunate but true. So, I just need you to see her through video chat so there will not be any mistakes or that we're being untrue, misreading, or fraudulent. Can you take a minute to meet her? I want you to know that she cannot work in any way, shape, or form. This would change and help our situation for the best. Then we can rent a little apartment that she can enjoy for the remaining golden years.

I have reviewed the attachments you provided (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). They included blood test orders, a table of MMSE (Mini‐Mental State Examination) interpretation results, and some prescriptions. Based on the documents, it appears that your country's health authority has acknowledged your mother's cognitive decline, specifically a moderate degree of impairment. However, the assigned diagnosis falls under the category of 'age-related cognitive decline' with the diagnosis code 'R41.89'. This classification does not define it as dementia, and as a result, there are no dementia-specific medications listed in your mother's prescription.

In light of this, I recommend seeking a second opinion regarding your mother's cognitive function through your country's health authority's second opinion system. I genuinely wish I could provide more assistance, but there are legal limitations. While iCliniq offers international medical consultations and specialist opinions, in the case of legal matters such as confirming a dementia diagnosis, an international platform may not be the most suitable option. As a neurologist, my professional license is valid only in my country, and my diagnosis or prescriptions would not be applicable or legally valid for your residing country.

I hope this helps you out.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seyedaidin Sajedi
Dr. Seyedaidin Sajedi

Neurology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

strokememory loss

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Neurology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy