Q. Is urgent attention or change in medicine or treatment required for memory loss?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

This consultation is regarding the symptoms of my grandmother over the past ten months. My grandmother developed memory loss, specifically her short-term memory. Her remote and recent memory seems to be intact. She fails to recognize people close to her at times. She also has had a decreased appetite for the past week. She has been taking medicine for hypothyroidism for the past ten months. She is diagnosed hypertensive and on medication. She is also on regular medicine for cholesterol. Her memory loss has increased in severity over the past ten months. Alarmingly last week, she failed to recognize her brother and was putting two sets of clothes on top of each other. However, now she is completely fine except for difficulty remembering things. Her activity around the house has decreased significantly. She also talks less. Recently children also noticed a change in her gait, taking baby steps /short steps for the past week. She has no tremors and no difficulty reading time or doing her day-to-day activities. Doctor, I am attaching her recent ECG and CT results and the medications she was taking.

Doctor, please suggest a course of action. Are these symptoms indicating something benign or something that requires urgent attention? What further investigation would you advise? Would you change any of her current medications? Thank you.

#

Your description of the patient's problem in detail clarifies the situation. She seems to be suffering from dementia (her doctor has ruled out the common directly treatable causes of the same and is treating her for atherosclerotic brain vessel disease). It appears to be alzheimer's disease and may progress with time. The doctor's prescription suggests a neurologist is looking after her. I feel a little frank discussion with him, and the doctor should be able to communicate that this may be a problem of alzheimer's and be prepared for the long-term management. I hope this does help you.

Thank you, doctor, for your valuable insight.

#

Most welcome.

|