Q. I have a swaying sensation as if the entire earth is a boat. What could it be?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Have you seen any long term damage caused by cephalo-antibiotics? I have a debilitating balance issue and dizziness that feels like the entire earth is a boat. It had been like this for two and a half weeks after two of the 1 g Ceftriaxone injections. Please assume that I do not have an infection and it was a last resort to see if I had a long-term infection causing another issue. I am concerned I have vestibular damage. I cannot find any information on the internet but I am wondering if it is a possible autoimmune or ototoxic condition even though it is not reported. Please help. I can barely sit up or walk. My skin also feels weird and my legs feel weak.

#

• It is unlikely to have vestibular damage due to Ceftriaxone and that too when you have taken only two doses. I have not seen until now in my practice Ceftriaxone causing vestibular damage.
  • Can you please tell me for what medical illness Ceftriaxone was prescribed to you? I just want to rule out if the illness caused the vestibular damage.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have visual snow syndrome. Some people with this had Lyme disease, but some were negative in the test. There were reports of Ceftriaxone improving the visual disturbances. I consulted my GP and he said it was safe as I had no proof of infection. My symptoms started a couple of hours after the injection. I did not have any of these issues before the injection. Only my visual snow syndrome, which does not cause this. I can feel the dizziness coming from my head. I am tipping, swaying, feeling a heaviness and pressure, and can barely walk for long. I get a pressure on my head. The more I move or be stuck in a spot, the worse it gets. For example, sitting at a dinner table.

#

• Prima facie, it does not seem to be because of Ceftriaxone.
  • However, your symptoms seem to be of Meniere's disease which can be sudden in onset.
  • To rule out a cochlear (inner ear) pathology, we need to do certain tests like pure tone audiometry, gait tests, electronystagmography, short increment sensitivity index, etc.

|