Q. Does menopause increase the chances of heart attacks in women?

Dr. Monica Mathur

I have successfully entered menopause as I do not have a period for a year, and I am 50-years-old. But now I fear a heart attack. I know the female hormone protects women from heart attacks, so I guess I will be low on it. So suggest to me all the imperative things that I should follow to keep my heart disease in check at this phase of my life.

#

The risk of getting a heart attack becomes higher than in men, along with the risk of osteoporosis. You are supposed to take phytoestrogens and dairy products like milk and milk products. Binge less on fat and junk foods which may increase your cholesterol levels. Have regular check-ups of Papanicolaou test (PAP smear) done and regular exercise of either walking or yoga.

|