Q. How to improve a woman's sexual drive after reaching menopause?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 48 years old. I am under menopausal period. My husband is 62 years old. But we are still sexually active. I cannot meet his need like usual. It seems like my sexual drive got totally shut off and when I did an attempt to serve him once, he complaints to me that my vagina is too dry and scratchy inside even with lube. Currently, I am taking Metoprolol 75 mg.

#

Hello madam. Good morning. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the details provided by you. I want to tell you that there are a lot of hormonal changes in the body during menopause and it results in the situation being faced by you. Almost 50 % of women in the menopause stage face this problem and it is pretty normal so do not worry. Now coming to the solutions for your case. my recommendations are as under:-

Use certain lubricants like petroleum-based lubricants or silicone-based depending upon what suits you. Extend foreplay to include more kissing and touching, fondling to give more arousal. Masturbate and increase the frequency of intercourse. Take Estrogen or progesterone therapy, orally or in the form of a patch if required. Take Vaginal estrogen orally or in the form of a patch. You can also try different sexual positions with a change like placing pillows under your buttocks in missionary position, and women on top for better reach of the penis.

You need to explain your husband that you are going through a phase change in your body and there will be changes in your sexual drive and vaginal dryness, which you both need to discuss and solve. You need emotional support and understanding from his side and together you can easily face this change. With minor changes as discussed above, you can overcome the changes being faced. Just do not worry. It is pretty normal and I am always there for you. Please feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information. God bless.

|