Q. How to improve a woman's sexual drive after reaching menopause?

Answered by
Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 48 years old. I am under menopausal period. My husband is 62 years old. But we are still sexually active. I cannot meet his need like usual. It seems like my sexual drive got totally shut off and when I did an attempt to serve him once, he complaints to me that my vagina is too dry and scratchy inside even with lube. Currently, I am taking Metoprolol 75 mg.



Welcome to

Hello madam. Good morning. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the details provided by you. I want to tell you that there are a lot of hormonal changes in the body during menopause and it results in the situation being faced by you. Almost 50 % of women in the menopause stage face this problem and it is pretty normal so do not worry. Now coming to the solutions for your case. my recommendations are as under:-

Use certain lubricants like petroleum-based lubricants or silicone-based depending upon what suits you. Extend foreplay to include more kissing and touching, fondling to give more arousal. Masturbate and increase the frequency of intercourse. Take Estrogen or progesterone therapy, orally or in the form of a patch if required. Take Vaginal estrogen orally or in the form of a patch. You can also try different sexual positions with a change like placing pillows under your buttocks in missionary position, and women on top for better reach of the penis.

You need to explain your husband that you are going through a phase change in your body and there will be changes in your sexual drive and vaginal dryness, which you both need to discuss and solve. You need emotional support and understanding from his side and together you can easily face this change. With minor changes as discussed above, you can overcome the changes being faced. Just do not worry. It is pretty normal and I am always there for you. Please feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information. God bless.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

I use Minoxidil 5 % for topical application, since three months, but I stopped it 15 days back ...   Read full

After menopause, endometrial thickness is 10 mm. What to do?

.. read and understood your problem. One research concludes that in a postmenopausal woman without vaginal bleeding, if the endometrium measures more than 11 mm, then a biopsy should be considered as the risk of cancer is 6.7%. Whereas if the end...   Read full

I am getting acne along the jawline and cheeks. Is that due to hormonal changes?

.. the jawline and lower face can indeed be an indicator of hormonal imbalance. Do you have any menstrual irregularities, or facial hair growth or recent weight gain? I would appreciate if you send me the photograph to assess the severity and nature ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.