Q. Why am I having my menstrual bleeding for about a month now?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I have menstrual bleeding for about a month now. It started as brown blood but now it is bright red. Last week I was passing large clots of blood. This week it slowed down a little, but I have been taking Ibuprofen 200 mg. I took four tablets that equal 800 mg, which is not helping much. I have cramps that have not been severe, today it has been hurting pretty bad, but is manageable. I am wearing a cup with a tampon as well. The cup has not been full, but I have to change my tampon for at least five days. Also, I am not on birth control, and I have not been sexually active due to this issue. Please help me.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. You have given sufficient details. I will be grateful if you can share specific additional information to assess your condition better. Would you please answer some of my questions? Have you suffered any such issues in the past? What is your weight? Are you using any protection for intercourse? Is the intercourse painful? Any changes in your weight in the past month? Did you take any other medicines besides Ibuprofen? Based upon the details already shared by you, I will request you to get a blood and thyroid test done to check the necessary parameters. I also request you to tell me if you have signs like constipation, pain in the back and pelvis, and also, did you check yourself for pregnancy? I will also request you to share the details as it is one-month-long bleeding. I need to be sure of your underlying cause before prescribing any medicines. In the meantime, I would suggest you take plenty of fluids, exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet, and sleep well.

Thank you for your response.

I have experienced this a few months back, maybe around springtime, and it eventually stopped on its own just when I was going to seek medical help. Before, it was about the same amount of blood. However, before, it was really bad. I used a cup, tampon, and pad this time. It is not that bad. I am 135 lbs. I do not use protection for intercourse for a while due to this issue. Sex is not painful. I have not been sexually active. There is no significant change in my weight at all. And no, I have not taken anything else besides the Ibuprofen. Let me also inform you that I am not on birth control. My bowel movements are regular. Yes, I have back and pelvic pain but not much as stomach cramping. Also, I am not sure if stress has to do with it either because I have been going through it for a long time.

I have not checked for pregnancy since I am bleeding. Would you please let me know what do you think about all this?

#

Since you have already experienced this problem earlier, I have seen that your weight and other details are fine. I would request you to get a blood test and thyroid test to observe any variations beyond normal ranges. Also, please include human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) to rule out pregnancy. Would you please share the reports as we need to know the underlying reason? And yes, you are right. Stress is the reason for menstrual disorders in 25 % of females worldwide. I request you not to stressed, as it will only worsen the situation.

|