Q. How to manage anxiety and mood swings during periods?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

It would be very useful for women to know how to have a better period. For instance, are there foods that can lessen the bloat? Are there any techniques that can relieve cramps? Are there any approaches that can help with the anxiety and mood swings associated with our cycles? Please explain why the technique works.

#

There are a few things that you can try before the period starts, which would help to make it less painful and some which you can try during the period.

When you are not having a period include physical exercise (at least 30 minutes) to increase the strength of your body. Eat healthy food, less fried foods and gradually reducing the portion of each meal. So instead of three big meals, have five small meals.

Yoga poses such as child pose, knee to chest pose, camel, resting corpse are a few which help a lot in menstrual cramps if done regularly. Have enough sleep.

During the menstrual cycle, the warm water bottle is always the easiest way to soothe the cramps, keep it handy. Having lighter and warm meals like soups or porridge instead of heavy like bread is a better choice. Hydrating yourself is essential and will keep your energy levels high. Avoid caffeine, eat more fruit and vegetables.

Do light exercise, take a warm bath, and get enough sleep (6-8 hours). Track your period, if possible, start eating smaller meals at least a day or two prior to start of the period, it helps a lot.

|