Q. When will walking get normal after foot fracture?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on May 20, 2018

Dear doctor,

I had a 2,3,4 metatarsal foot fracture on 13th. Thereafter, the foot was in a cast which was removed on 20th. Now, there is as slight swelling and it hurts when walking. I am unable to walk smoothly. I partially drag the foot when walking. Hence, I request your advice on the following: When will my walking be normal? What should I do to expedite the same?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

2, 3, and 4 metatarsal fracture can vary from undisplaced midshaft fractures to head fracture which affects forefoot (front part of the foot) to the base of metacarpal fracture which can vary depending on the anatomy of the fracture and thus the treatment also varies.

An X-ray of your foot at the time of injury and probably a fresh X-ray would have been more appropriate to discuss about the condition. Coming to your questions now:

The fracture should consolidate in a favorable position after which foot movements and walking can be normalized. Ideal healing time for foot injury is 6 to 12 weeks depending on the fracture.

Healing is a normal process, Its rate cannot be increased. However, avoiding factors that impair healing is recommended.

1. Avoid smoking and tobacco.
  2. Avoid excessive analgesic/ NSAIDs.
  3. Take a healthy meal.
  4. Vitamin D level should be appropriate.
  5. Diabetes or other chronic illness like vascular disease, connective tissue disorders, if present, should be managed.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have neck spasm and difficulty in walking. Please help.

Query: Hello, I weigh 39 kg and I am 31 years old. I have lost two kilograms in the last two months. I am having spasm in the neck since 2 months. It started when I had sudden sneezing and was not able to move the neck soon after that. Neck movements got restricted. I consulted a doctor and took tablet...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Whole event started with a sneezing after which you developed muscular spasm in the neck. You took pregabalin for neuropathic pain but due to its side effect you discontinued.  After that you had physiotherapy and developed other neurological symptoms and you...  Read Full

How is the fracture of fifth metatarsal bone treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I twisted my leg and got an x-ray done. The report showed fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal bone. How to proceed with the treatment? Thank you in advance.  Read Full >>

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your injury. I had looked at the x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you seem to be having a pseudo-Jones fracture. Mostly, this fracture can heal without any surgical intervention. You will have to use either a walking cast or ...  Read Full

What will happen if a Jones fracture is left untreated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. I broke it for the first time last year and again this year. At this stage, it is showing a nonunion, but I can easily bear weight and there is no pain or swelling. I have no plans to play sports or go running in the future. I was wonderin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question, and it seems that your fracture is not healing well. There are a few points which I want you to know: The first and the fifth metatarsal are actually the weight-bearing bones in the foot. So, proper union of any fracture involving ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now