Q. Taking Dibizid M for diabetes but sugar level has not reduced. Please help.

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali
Published on Jul 19, 2019

My mother has diabetes for the past 10 years. She has been on Dibizid M (twice a day- morning and night) and the sugar levels had been under control until the past few months.

A few months ago her sugar levels went up and here before food reading was 220, while after food it was 180 and HbA1c was 9.5. So, the doctor had prescribed a change in medication. Now she is taking Dibizid M in morning and afternoon while taking Glycomet SR 1000 in the night. Today her sugar levels were before food: 180, after food: 201. Also, would like to inform that she is on strict diet. Kindly advice.

#

The medicine is fine. Divide her diet in six portions and decrease fat content as low as possible.

One more query is on the type of food she can consume like rice, wheat, type of vegetables and fruits, etc.

#

She can eat one serving of fruit, means one fruit in a day, the idea is any fruit you can hold in your fist. If a big fruit like watermelon, its pieces in a cup or small like strawberry about 6 to 8. But only once a day. As far as rice or wheat are concerned it might be better to reduce the amount, actually, it is carbohydrates. She can eat vegetables freely.

How can fatigue be managed in a patient taking Metformin?

Query: Hello doctor,My father's age is 60 years and is a patient of type 2 DM. He is also a patient of hypertension with an abnormal lipid profile. His RBS is now 360 mg/dl. He is suffering from extreme fatigue although BP is controlled by anti-hypertensive drugs. In this condition, how can we manage fatig...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at RBG given (360 mg/100 ml), he has totally uncontrolled diabetes. When this happens there is a lot of glucose lost through urine, leading to excess urination, excess thirst and excess hunger. Plus there is unexplained weight loss and severe tiredness. The r...  Read Full

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

What diet can be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reviewing the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the patient has already developed significant damage, creatinine is too high and has already secondary hyperparathyroidism. Type 2 diabetes with renal complication. Dialysis is unavoidabl...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now