Q. I am sexually active with PCOS, and I have mid-cycle spotting with a 25 to 27-day cycle. Is it normal?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am 23 years old. My period cycle (for the last four or five cycles) has been for 25 to 27 days. I have a partner, and we are sexually active. I have a history of PCOS. My current cycle began in the middle of this month, and the cycle before that started in the middle of last month. I had sexual intercourse on day 23 of the previous cycle and day 10 of the current cycle. We always practice safe sex, use protection, and even check it before discarding it. Since day 12, I have been experiencing minimal spotting. The spotting on five days before was brown and slightly pinkish. The spotting on the next three days was brown and resembled the residual blood. My period usually begins after two to three days of mild or less brown flow (residual blood). Currently, I am taking Glyomet SR 500 and Aldactone 100 mg. Is a cycle of 25 to 27 days normal? What could be the possible reason for spotting? Should I take any test or medical examination?

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Firstly the medicines you are taking are perfectly fine for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). A period cycle of 25 to 27 days is perfectly fine. You said you are experiencing spotting, which is somewhat identical to the spotting you experience before your periods. There are three possibilities in increasing order of probability.

1. Although you both practice safe sex and check the thing for any possibility of failure you may have conceived, in that case, it can be implantation bleeding. But this case is also less probable as implantation bleeding does not start on the second day of intercourse or conceiving.

2. Some other underlying problems may be related to PCOS or other hormonal imbalances.

3. Most probably, it may be due to some trauma you have experienced in your last intercourse. This can be a strong possibility.

So early, nothing can be said with 100% confidence, but these are the three possibilities. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you suggest me a home pregnancy test?

#

Although, as discussed above, there is very little likelihood of pregnancy. The earliest we can come to know is through a blood hCG (human gonadotropin hormone) test conducted in a laboratory. It gives a somewhat accurate result after two weeks of intercourse or 11 days of conceiving. Home urine pregnancy tests give reliable results after a missed period. So it is very early to detect pregnancy after a week of intercourse. After your last intercourse, you experienced a period, so there is no possibility of that. Take care and stay safe. Do not worry. Thanks.

Alright, thank you so much!
Will keep you posted if there is any other development.
Thank you !
# Thanks Gayatri for the update.

good morning

that's a wonderful news.

yes that was the most likely cause.

see for internal trauma pls use lubricant when you practice intercourse next time.

there are no medicines now that's been very long. just maintain good hygiene.

share the concern with your partner and tell him to be gentle

stay safe

God bless

|