Q. I experience frequent vomiting with headache. What could be the cause?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2020

For the past several months I have been vomiting four to six times a week. Sometimes my eyes become sensitive to light and I get a massive headache which ends in vomit. Other times, I could randomly dry heave until it eventually comes out without any warning sign. Pregnancy is not a possibility. I am a 19-year-old female with no prior medical conditions and healthy diet. A few years back, I was prescribed birth control for constant headaches it did not help. In fact, it is very hard for me to keep down pills so I would rather not take them and induce a vomiting spell. My question is: What could be the cause? And possibly some different alternatives other than pills.

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

All the symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of a clinical condition called migraine. We have to rule out other conditions like tension headaches before starting the treatment. You do not need to worry as it is highly curable with timely treatment. I suggest you consult a general physician and get the following things done:

1. A detailed clinical history and examination may be needed to make a diagnosis.

2. As initial management, you might require analgesics like Ibuprofen or Sumatriptan for headache.

3. To prevent further attacks you may require a long term drug-like Flunarizine.

Prolonged use of contraceptive pills can also cause headaches. So it is better to use alternative contraceptive measures. You can also seek help from an acupuncturist for constant headaches.

Migraine.

Conservative.

Do not deprive sleep. Avoid contraceptive pills

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

I am experiencing headaches due to light sensitivity. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. For the past three months, I have been experiencing daily headaches, intermittent dizziness and vertigo, tinnitus and light sensitivity. I have received a diagnosis of a vestibular migraine and my neurologist reports down beating nystagmus while using Frenzel go...  Read Full »

Can vomiting cause eye pain and bruising?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend started vomiting last night and I noticed that his eyelids were red and bruised. Is there something else besides the vomiting that could have caused the bruised eyelids?  Read Full »

Does vomiting sensation after unprotected intercourse mean pregnancy?

Query: Hi, I had unprotected intercourse with my partner a month back. I did not ejaculate inside her. Later to be sure, she did a home pregnancy test after 21 days, it came negative. Since yesterday, she is having vomiting sensation, not able to eat anything, light stomach cramps and light fever. She did ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now