Q. Kindly recommend any exercise for my straight neck and migraine headaches.

Dr. Anuj Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am currently having problems with straight neck and migraine headaches. I am spending around half the day in bed and having a good sleep in the evening. My problem is getting worse, so my X-rays show no deterioration since other times. Can you recommend any exercise or physical therapy that I can take? I will include some photographs of my neck that may help.

Do you have a question on Migraine Headaches or Neck Exercises?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Could you please tell me what you do and how much physical exercise you have in your daily routine?

I work in the marketing department using computer time minimally due to the straight neck. I get between 5500-12,000 steps a day, and I work out an average about three times in a gym per week.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

The first thing is your posture, is the computer at your workplace is at eye level? Or most of the time, you are bending forward and working on it? And as far as walking is concerned, how much do you walk at one stretch? I am not concerned about the whole day. I want to know how much you walk at a stretch daily?

Yes, I have a monitor. At eye level, but I frequently work from home and sometimes using a laptop, and I will also start using a monitor from home to keep eye level. I frequently lay on couch or bed and using phones for usually one hour a day. This is not because I am lazy, but because the neck pain is less when I am lying down. Each stretch of walking is generally for 15 or 20 minutes at a brisk pace.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well, you know where the problem is. You have to take care of your posture, even working at home, sit on table and chair. Maintain proper position while working, also if you are watching TV or mobile, do not slouch. Increase your walk to four kilometers at a stretch daily.

Also Read Answers From: Migraine Headaches Neck Exercises

I have a heavy neck and lifting head when lying is difficult. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old male. I have a very heavy neck from the last seven months. When lying in the supine position, lifting the head up is very difficult (as if something is pulling from behind). While standing and looking up at the ceiling, I get a cracking sound which is quite loud and...  Read Full >>
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, the disc prolapse is a finding on the MRI. Not to worry about it as it is not causing any compression on the spine or on neural structures. I would like you to do basic neck stretches. Do lots of icing. The most important thing is to maintain your...  Read Full

Could a lightened area in a brain MRI be an infection or a tumor?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI performed on my brain due to my visual perception being off and not seeing and understanding my location correctly while driving.I did hit someone and almost got into a larger accident. The right side of my head feels like there is a cyst or something there. My skull on t...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to review your MRI report for a more professional opinion directly. A hyperintense lesion could be related to low blood perfusion area or migraine headaches (if you have suffered before). The meningioma is a benign tumor, which grows slowly without caus...  Read Full

I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. Could it be painful because chiropractor adjusted my neck?
Query: Hello doctor, I went to the chiropractor and got my neck adjusted. I had sore on my neck more in the back left corner then the pain passed down to my left arm. After checking, they said it was a flare-up and to ice it. The next day I had it adjusted again, and he pointed out that I had a swollen ly...  Read Full >>
Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that because of chiropractor there will be any trouble to the lymph node. If the pain is radiating in nature, then it can be related to intervertebral disc injury which can be a past injury and due to which you had a sore neck. As the intervertebral di...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now