Q. My US scan shows increased echotexture, measuring about 18 mm. What does it mean?

Answered by
Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2020

Hi doctor,

I had a US scan. It shows increased echotexture, which measures about 18 cm. What does it mean, do I need to worry about it? I have done a laboratory test for urine albumin levels, which is also increased.



Welcome to

Well, I think there is no point to get worried, but you should need to take precautions from now onwards to improve this. Fatty liver disease is secondary to overall body fat. Your weight is a problem. You have to reduce it at all costs. And I also see you have high cholesterol and TG (triglycerides), which are too high. Reduction of weight will solve your fatty liver disease issues plus cholesterol issue.

Secondarily I want to test you for liver function tests and blood sugar tests, which would help us decide whether I need to give you some medications for correction of the cholesterol and liver enzymes (if elevated).

The best way to reduce your weight is to cut down the daily caloric requirement. Cut down carbohydrates intake by reducing meal size, avoiding snacks of all kinds, and energy or soft drinks. With that, you need to do exercise regularly. You can join a gym if you want to. Or do cycling, jogging, and running whatever you think that you can do.

Get the following tests and let me know when it is done. I would tell you whether you need any medicine for this or not.

Best regards.

Investigations to be done:

HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), liver function tests, creatinine, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the reason for abdomen pain and poor appetite?

I experienced a bit of testicular atrophy and muscle atrophy and weight loss (I went down to 70 kg from 78 kg) and less appetite ... I gained some weight in between ...   Read full

I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

My body weight is 645 kg and height is 5'3" ...   Read full

What is the risk of high triglycerides?

I would recommend to reduce potato, rice and sweets ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.