Q. My US scan shows increased echotexture, measuring about 18 mm. What does it mean?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I had a US scan. It shows increased echotexture, which measures about 18 cm. What does it mean, do I need to worry about it? I have done a laboratory test for urine albumin levels, which is also increased.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, I think there is no point to get worried, but you should need to take precautions from now onwards to improve this. Fatty liver disease is secondary to overall body fat. Your weight is a problem. You have to reduce it at all costs. And I also see you have high cholesterol and TG (triglycerides), which are too high. Reduction of weight will solve your fatty liver disease issues plus cholesterol issue.

Secondarily I want to test you for liver function tests and blood sugar tests, which would help us decide whether I need to give you some medications for correction of the cholesterol and liver enzymes (if elevated).

The best way to reduce your weight is to cut down the daily caloric requirement. Cut down carbohydrates intake by reducing meal size, avoiding snacks of all kinds, and energy or soft drinks. With that, you need to do exercise regularly. You can join a gym if you want to. Or do cycling, jogging, and running whatever you think that you can do.

Get the following tests and let me know when it is done. I would tell you whether you need any medicine for this or not.

Best regards.

HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), liver function tests, creatinine, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

|