Q. Could emotions cause milky nipple discharge?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I got married three years back and I gave birth to a baby boy two years back. However, due to complications I lost my child in just seven days. I never had breastfeeding session with him as he was in NICU. But, sent milk to him through a tin pot for five days. However, after this unfortunate incident, doctor prescribed me few medicines to stop my milk. Soon my body stopped producing the milk. Meanwhile I was going through some emotional turmoil as separated from husband and my mother's cancer treatment. Since two years I have been living separately from my husband. Four days ago when I was trying to convince my husband regarding relationship, he messaged me that he do not want me back in his life. Till now I realized that something like milk is coming from my breast. Is this breast cancer? Or is this because of emotions about my baby? I am unable to discuss my emotions with my husband as he is not willing to listen. Please help.

#

First of all, I must tell you to relax.

• A nipple discharge is not an uncommon phenomenon in non-pregnant woman.
  • A bloody discharge is serious. But milk-like or colorless discharge is often caused by minor problems.
  • Are you on any medicine like antivomiting or antidepressent? Taking these medicines could cause a discharge which will stop after stoppage of the drug.
  • Next, if you do not have those; yes, emotional turmoil and remote memories could cause nipple discharge. You are right in this aspect.
  • Though it could be physiological entirely, you need few blood tests if it persists more than two weeks.
  • You need to check thyroid hormones and prolactin to assess their status.
  • Meanwhile, wear tight undergarments and stop squeezing as squeezing will increase more milk production.

Stress, tension and medicine.

1. Blood for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine) and prolactin.
2. Mammogram of breast.

1. Hypothyroidism.
2. Hyperprolactinemia.

Stress induced nipple discharge.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|