Q. I was prescribed a lot of medicines after a miscarriage. Are all these drugs necessary?

Answered by
Dr. Joshi Shalaka Kishor
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

Hi doctor,

I had a miscarriage 15 days back, my TSH is 4.19, hemoglobin is 12.1 g/dL, height is 5 feet, weight is 68 kg, and blood sugar is 54 and 116 mg/dL. Now my doctor has prescribed me with a lot of medicines like Thyroxine, Glyciphage, Aldactone 100, Terbinafine 250, etc. I have some itching in the vagina, so I was given Fungi gel, hookworm, and other infection releasing tablets to be pushed inside the vagina. Should I continue all the medicines? Is it really necessary?



Welcome to

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. All is not over, as your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) seem normal to me.

  • Continue the thyroid medication.
  • Your ideal weight for your height would be 50 kg. So, try to reduce weight using diet and exercise. Glyciphage (Metformin) is to help you reduce the weight.
  • Fungal infection in vagina needs to be treated as prescribed by your doctor. Even your partner needs to be treated with oral medicine for complete cure.
  • You can take tablet Folic acid 5 mg once a day till you conceive, after consulting your doctor.
  • Try keeping planned relations from ninth to the twentieth day of the menstrual cycle, calculating from the first day of the period.

All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. So, can I stop Aldactone 100 and Terbinafine tablet? Are these two also necessary?



Welcome back to

  • I think Aldactone (Spironolactone) you can put on hold.
  • Terbinafine is for fungal infection, how long are you supposed to take that as per your doctor? Has your husband been given the same?

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thank you, doctor,

No, he has not been told to take any medicine. He just needs to use Fungi gel. Can I take wheat grass powder instead of Thyroxine? I know I should continue this medicine lifelong.



Welcome back to

  • Thyroxine has to be taken lifelong compulsorily, and only the dosage will change.
  • It is advisable that both, you and your husband take oral medication for a complete cure.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

.. is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist .. ...   Read full

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

But, if you do not have any specific symptoms with this mutation, then there is no harm to take these vitamins ...   Read full

How to regularize my menstrual cycle?

.. are a case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which brings obesity and insulin resistance along with it. Consult a doctor for medical advice to lose weight and improve insulin resistance to allow regular menses to occur. Also it is importa...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.