Q. I was prescribed a lot of medicines after a miscarriage. Are all these drugs necessary?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

I had a miscarriage 15 days back, my TSH is 4.19, hemoglobin is 12.1 g/dL, height is 5 feet, weight is 68 kg, and blood sugar is 54 and 116 mg/dL. Now my doctor has prescribed me with a lot of medicines like Thyroxine, Glyciphage, Aldactone 100, Terbinafine 250, etc. I have some itching in the vagina, so I was given Fungi gel, hookworm, and other infection releasing tablets to be pushed inside the vagina. Should I continue all the medicines? Is it really necessary?

#

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. All is not over, as your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) seem normal to me.

• Continue the thyroid medication.
  • Your ideal weight for your height would be 50 kg. So, try to reduce weight using diet and exercise. Glyciphage (Metformin) is to help you reduce the weight.
  • Fungal infection in vagina needs to be treated as prescribed by your doctor. Even your partner needs to be treated with oral medicine for complete cure.
  • You can take tablet Folic acid 5 mg once a day till you conceive, after consulting your doctor.
  • Try keeping planned relations from ninth to the twentieth day of the menstrual cycle, calculating from the first day of the period.

All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. So, can I stop Aldactone 100 and Terbinafine tablet? Are these two also necessary?

#

• I think Aldactone (Spironolactone) you can put on hold.
  • Terbinafine is for fungal infection, how long are you supposed to take that as per your doctor? Has your husband been given the same?

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you, doctor,

No, he has not been told to take any medicine. He just needs to use Fungi gel. Can I take wheat grass powder instead of Thyroxine? I know I should continue this medicine lifelong.

#

• Thyroxine has to be taken lifelong compulsorily, and only the dosage will change.
  • It is advisable that both, you and your husband take oral medication for a complete cure.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|