Q. What are the indications for D&C after a miscarriage?

Dr. Monica Mathur

My wife had a miscarriage in the seventeenth week of pregnancy. The doctor gave her tablets, and the fetus was expelled out naturally. After a week, TVS showed 8 mm RPOC, and after three weeks, TVS showed 3x1x2 cm RPOC. Now she does not have any bleeding or pain. Whether she should go for a D&C to remove it or wait for the next period, assuming it will automatically expel out? Kindly suggest. Relevant reports are attached.

Thanks.

#

I have gone through the reports attached. (attachments removed to protect patient's identity)

According to the ultrasound reports, RPOC (retained products of conception) is 12 mm. If it is left behind, it can lead to bleeding or cramping or even can cause infection. I would suggest going for a D&C (dilation and curettage).

Thank for the reply.

According to reports, the endometrial thickness is 12 mm, and actual RPOC is 2.3x0.8x1.2 cm in the fundus and mid corpus region. For past one week, I am not bleeding. My WBC count is normal, and hCG levels are also normal. What should I do?

Thanks.

#

The RPOC is 2.3 cm. It is a good sign that you are not having any bleeding and WBC (white blood cells) count is also normal. But even then, in such cases, D&C is advised to the patient. I would suggest you follow the treatment or advice given by your operating gynecologist who has done the abortion. Her decision should be considered as she is more conversant.

|