Q. Can I get pregnant if I miss one birth control pill?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2022

I am a 29 year old female, and I have started taking Femilon from last month, from the fourth day of my period. I forgot to take the 18th-day pill at night, but I took it the next day early morning as soon as I remembered. At that time, I did not have sex with my husband. After this on the first pill-free day, I had unprotected sex. Except for that one pill, I took all the pills on the correct time without any mistake. I am worried about pregnancy. Today is my fifth pill-free day, but I have not got my period and yesterday I checked pregnancy test, which was negative. Please help. Can I be pregnant?

#

You are unduly worried. A single pill miss is so common, and you have managed it effectively. Wait for your periods for next two days and if not, do not bother, start a new pack.

Thank you for replying.

I am very satisfied with your answer. Is it normal to miss periods while taking Femilon? I did a urine pregnancy test on the fourth pill-free day, which was negative. Is urine pregnancy test accurate on the fourth pill-free day? When should I start the next Femilon packet? Some doctors say from the first day of the periods, some say after seven pill-free days, and my gynecologist said on the 4th or 5th of my periods. Which is the accurate and effective time to restart the new pack?

#

People often miss the cycle or get one or two drops like spotting in place of a full cycle while you are on the pill in the initial phases. Now, as you have missed the cycle, I suggest you restart next pack after a gap of five days, irrespective of your present cycle status.

It will be the same also from now onwards. Forget about your cycle date or day of the periods. Just restart each pack after five days pill-free period without keeping your period in mind.

The first day or fifth-day start is applicable only when you are a starter. It is not at all applicable when you are a regular user. In that case, keeping a five-day gap in between the pack is only the rule.

Today is my fifth pill-free day, so I have to start taking the pills from tomorrow, right? But my gynecologist told me to take it 21 and 7 sequences, as it will prevent pregnancy. As my period did not come yet, do I have to get a pregnancy test again tomorrow before starting the pill? Is the pregnancy test, which I did on the fourth pill-free day reliable? Please help.

#

1. I understand your concern. The fourth day is a sensitive day and if you were pregnant, you should have a positive result on that day. However, to ensure more, you do the pregnancy test tomorrow again and it will be negative. Start the pill from tomorrow and continue it.
  2. Now, 21/5 or 21/7 is almost same. If you had a long cycle of 30 days or more, opt for 21/7, but if you have an average 22 to 26 days cycle, opt for 21/5. This matters least and only concentrate on taking the pill regularly without any miss. This will serve your purpose.

|