Q. Did my friend miss her periods because of low hemoglobin or hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My friend did not get a period this month. It was supposed to happen last week. She is having stomach pain and pain in her knees. She has a habit of fingering, and she is taking supplements for hemoglobin. Her query is, does this mean she is pregnant, or might it be a hormonal change?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

If your friend has had unprotected intercourse during her present cycle, the cause of the delayed period maybe pregnancy, and this can be confirmed with a urine pregnancy test that can be done at home or if your friend is not sexually active (masturbation does not count), then there is no chance of pregnancy.

In such a case, delayed periods could be due to many reasons, some of which are as follows;

1) Stress.

2) Weight gain or weight loss.

3) Change in food habits.

4) Excessive exercising.

5) Eating disorders or prolonged fasting.

6) Thyroid problems.

7) Reduced hemoglobin.

8) Polycystic ovarian disease.

9) Physiological delay.

So, if the delay is less than two weeks, she can wait for the period to occur on its own. Otherwise, medication can be given to induce period.

I hope this was useful.

|