Q. I missed my period even after using vaginal pill and i-pill. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Y Siva Roja

I am 17 years old. I had sex with my partner on the 24th day of the menustruation cycle. I used Today vaginal pill before intercourse. On the next day i.e. 25th day, within 30 hours, I also took i-pill to be sure not to be pregnant. Now my period which was on due is still missing. What are the chances of my pregnancy? What should I do to terminate it, if I am pregnant? Kindly help me out.

#

I have reviewed your query thoroughly. I-pill or emergency contraceptive pills have very minimal chance of failure if taken immediately after intercourse within 24 hours and chances of failure gradually increase after that even if taken within 72 hours.

There is about one to two percent chance of failure of an emergency pill or i-pill in your case. But we can be quite sure of its success if withdrawal bleeding occurred within four to five days after taking the pill, confirming the shedding of layer of the endometrium.

Based on the dates given by you, today must be 8 days following the date of the intercourse. In that case, to find out if you are pregnant, you can get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin) testing done. For the urine pregnancy tests to show the result if pregnant, it must be at least 10 to 14 days following intercourse.

If you want to know urgently whether you are pregnant, you can get serum beta hCG testing. If you can wait another week, you can get a urine pregnancy testing, which if positive must be followed up by ultrasound imaging. Only after then and after consulting an obstetrician, should the abortion be planned under guidance.

Furthermore, if you are sexually active regularly, it is better to choose other regular contraceptive methods after consulting an obstetrician and gynecologist instead of i-pill. I-pills are meant to be taken only in case of unexpected accidental unprotected sex, but not on a regular basis.

|