Q. I took a home pregnancy test at 50 days, which was negative. When should I retake the test?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I want to ask something about pregnancy. I have missed my period for 60 days. I got my last period before two months. I checked for pregnancy using a pregnancy kit. It showed me a negative result. When can I take my pregnancy test again? Before six months, I had PCOD. I was taking medicine for it. After three months, I went for a check-up and my doctor told me that PCOD is not shown in my ultrasound. Please suggest. Currently, I am taking Ovafit and Folic acid tablets. Can I continue taking this tablet?

#

You have delayed periods due to anovulation. As your pregnancy test shows a negative result taken after 50 days, it is good to check it again tomorrow. If it is negative, then it is advisable to take medications for having withdrawal bleeding. PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is not diagnosed based only on ultrasound reports. It is a lifestyle disorder. You need to modify your lifestyle by reducing your weight. Do regular exercise and have a modification in your diet. It helps to treat your hormonal imbalance. You can get your periods on time after following these steps. It helps to know your ovulation time. If you are trying for pregnancy, it can be achieved naturally without taking medications.

You can have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or thyroid.

You need to do a complete hemogram, glucose tolerance test, HbA1c (hemoglobinA1c) levels, lipid profile, RFT (renal function test), LFT (liver function test), serum calcium, vitamin D3, and B12 levels, serum fasting, and post-prandial insulin levels, serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LH (luteinizing hormone), estradiol, prolactin levels, thyroid profile (T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and anti-TPO (anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies) antibody on the second or third day of your next menstrual period.

You can have thyroid or prolactin abnormalities.

You can take tablet Meprate (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) or Deviry 10 mg (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) twice daily for five days and then stop taking it. You can get your withdrawal bleeding within seven to ten days.

Try to reduce your weight. Maintain a menstrual diary. Do regular exercise for at least an hour daily. Have a lifestyle and dietary modification soon.

Have a follow-up with the results of your test.

| 
1 out of 1 likes