Q. I took i-pill after unprotected sex and missed my period. Could this be due to hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

I had unprotected sex with my partner on 18th, and 19th of last month, where 18 was the next day after my periods. Took i-pill on 21st morning because he was not sure if he has ejaculated inside. But also he ejaculated sperm outside too. Now I have missed my periods which is supposed to be on 17th of this month. Also, I had five days of spotting a week after the i-pill. I am 22 years and my periods are regular. Is there a chance of pregnancy or will periods have missed this month because of hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to your description, the possibility of pregnancy is less in your case. As usual, ovulation is not possible the next day after periods. But emergency contraceptive pill may not give accurate results after 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.

The spotting and delay in periods could be the side effects of the pill.

Better to go for a urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy. If the test is negative, better to wait for one more week and you may get periods. If not please consult your doctor once and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

| 

I took I-pill after 6th and 14th hour of intercourse. Can I be pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I took two I-pills after sixth hour and 14th hour of sexual intercourse. Then, a week later I got vaginal bleeding for five days. Am I pregnant? When can I expect my next periods?  Read Full »

I have missed periods. Is this pregnancy or a disease amenorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex at 11 PM but took I-pill the next morning at 9 AM. I have missed periods. I have heard about the disease amenorrhea. Is this pregnancy or a disease amenorrhea? If amenorrhea happens, can it be easily cured? How she I have regular periods? Is it a matter of fear or a c...  Read Full »

Does urinating and washing the vagina after sex reduce the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old married woman. Within two months of my marriage, we often had sexual intercourse, but I do not know if he ever ejaculated inside me. Yesterday, I think he ejaculated inside me, but I am not sure. After sex, I washed my vagina and urinated. Is there any chance of pregnan...  Read Full »